Non-standard sample rate = no sound

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Blandine Catastrophe

Non-standard sample rate = no sound

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

I digitize vynilics and play them at 33 rpm, then I change the speed with the playback rate function, for a better filtering of the scratches noises. The problem is that I made install a new motherboard to get a quicker processor , and I have then also another sounboard called «C-Media Wave Device» by Windows. When I have a non-standard sample rate, like 59535 or 105840, iTunes can play the file, as well as Real Player, but Goldwave and Windows Media Player don't, they plays and display the graphic or the vizualizer, but thre's no sound. Is there something to set up to allow Goldwave to play such speeds, because in some cases I must compare quickly the playing speeds with old recordings where this speed isn't standardized and not mentioned on the label (it can be 60, 72, 78, 80, 90 for those I have already encountered).
Gloup? :-°
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Non-standard sample rate = no sound

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you have two sound devices installed, you'll need to select the one connected to your speakers/headphones in GoldWave. Press the F11 key and choose the Device tab to select a different playback device. It may be best to disable the motherboard sound hardware in the BIOS.

Chris
Blandine Catastrophe

But IT IS the motherboard's sound device. :-S

And furthermore it makes a surround effect unexpectedly when playing files, though I have disabled this feature, and when i click on the link to the manufacturer, www.cmedia.com.tw I have a denied access. :-S :-S

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You may be able to download an updated driver here. It is not clear what version of the driver you have and what version is provided in the download. The copyright date seems recent on the screen shot.

Real Player and iTunes may be resampling the file during playback. If you resample the file (or change the playback rate) to 44100Hz in GoldWave, does it play? Also try turning down the hardware acceleration under Advanced Audio Properties, Performance (right-click the speaker icon in the Start bar to adjust the audio properties) to see if that makes any difference.

Chris
Blandine Catastrophe

I had still the problem after I reformated completely my computer in February, but I have found a solution to get a sound at any playback rate.
First, I set the playback rate at 192000 Hz, I play shortly to initiate the driver or codec (an element likeky from Real Player), and I set to the right playback rate, and I can monitor if my speed is indeed the right one (electrical recording supposed at first 78 rpm can actually be at the speed 78.25 78.26 80.00 depending on the brand, I must compare the tune of the recording to a keyboard properly tuned).
Since this reformating, the driver of the soundboard is taken in account by windows update. I wonder how these "professional computer engineers" had installed that, by doing nothing else than a standard installment, I solved also all the other problems, like the stereo enlargement impossible to remove and other weird issues.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

welcome to microsoft hardware wonders Blandine.....get a PCI soundcard, and save yourself the hassle. lol

A lot of boards are coming with the c-media drivers and device. Personally, im not a fan....id rather use my 16-bit soundblaster live. Glad to see you worked it out though.