Goldwave manual revision?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sketch

Goldwave manual revision?

Post by Sketch »

Has there been a revision to the Goldwave manual that was created in February? I'm wondering if I should download again or update it. Thanks.
Sarge

Re: Goldwave manual revision?

Post by Sarge »

Sketch wrote:Has there been a revision to the Goldwave manual that was created in February? I'm wondering if I should download again or update it. Thanks.
There were a few updates to the manual. I don't think anything significant was really added (although I didn't go through the whole manual with a fine tooth comb). The only new thing I noticed was a "color coded" graph comparing the different file formats.

I'm sure theres a bunch of other little additions/revisions, it doesn't hurt to download it again (I would, especially if you're running 5.12). It will just overwrite the current manual, and you never know, it just might have that little info you're looking for in the future, that 5.10's manual didn't have. :wink:

Sarge

First post I've had here for a while, now that school is done with. :D
Sketch

Post by Sketch »

Thank you very much. I've been checking around the website and I'm still not seeing an update function for the manual. Is there one? When I first downloaded my Goldwave, I had to download the manual separately, and was sent a separate key for opening it. I updated 5.12 straight from 5.10, but didn't think to check whether the manual was linked with it (by linked I mean accessible under Help in the Toolbar).

Maybe it was always "linked"? :oops:

So when I updated to Goldwave v5.12, would the manual have automatically updated? I didn't check yesterday, I just went to where I had the manual zip stored, unzipped it to the Goldwave file in "Program Files" and used the key I had been sent some months ago through Goldwave's e-mail. The date under the title says February 2005. So.... :oops: (again)...I'm wondering if it would have been possible for me to have overwritten a manual update, since I'm no longer finding an area to download a manual from the website.

I want to make sure I've got everything downloaded correctly before I ask a couple of questions about the Device Properties panel. :)
JackH

Post by JackH »

So when I updated to Goldwave v5.12, would the manual have automatically updated?
The old manual is overwritten with the unregistered version when you install v5.12. At the top of the unregistered vesion is a link to the web site where you can request the updated registered version. I just did this, and now have the version dated November 2005. It probably took all of a minute or so!
used the key I had been sent some months ago through Goldwave's e-mail. The date under the title says February 2005.
Oops, I missed this part at first. You can always re-install v5.12. That will put back the unregistered version, which has the link.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I would say the following would probably be the easiest thing to do:

If you still have the email Chris/GoldWave sent you with the "manual key" there should be a link there to download the latest manual. That way you can be sure that you'll have the 5.12 manual from Novemeber, instead of from 5.10 Febuary. This will overwrite the file.

If you don't have the email anymore, visit this site. This will give you the email for the address to download the manual.

Note: I know I could have just told you the site to download it from, but I respect Chris and GoldWave, so I'd rather keep the address confidential from non-registered users, because the download/address is only for registered users (this was probably why you couldn't find the download for the manual :wink: ). But since you're a registered user, you should have no problem doing the above. Hope this helps, and let me know if everything works out for you.

Sarge

Edit: I was also going to suggest Jack's way of just deleting it, but if you got presets and don't want to go thru the trouble of saving the keys in the registry and uninstalling, my way might be the way to go. Otherwise go with Jack's suggestion, its probably a lot easier now that I think about it.

Man I spent almost a half hour typing this up, Jack's message wansn't even up there when I started typing. Sometimes I think I make things too difficult, or too hard to understand.
Sketch

Post by Sketch »

Thanks to both of you. Good advice for both methods. I wound up reinstalling the manual since I wasn't sure if I would have to uninstall Goldwave. I did my Goldwave v5.12 update after changing my operating system to XP from Windows 98, so I didn't have to pay attention to whether to uninstall before updating. :D

Sarge, I really thank you for putting in the effort for the typing. I'm a sort of hit and miss touch typer, so it's much easier for me to blather on. :D

Now that I've looked through the revisions, I can be a bit more assured I've done some basic research on my question about the "Device" tab functions under "Control Properties". I should probably make it a new topic so that the heading is clearer for the question. If you can help me, I would appreciate your time very much.

Very grateful to both of you, thank you! :D