No codec is available to encode or decode the audio format.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

Hi there :)

i use GW 5.12 and the Lame Codec to edit my MP3 Files, but i have some trouble.

with some files i become the Error message in the Topic and with some other files i don't have the problem.

whats wrong that i become with some mp3 files a error message and with some other i have no problem to open them?

i use Win2k SP4

Thx in advance :D

ps: sorry my bad english, it's not my motherlanguage :oops:
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know what the problem is, but I can tell you a couple of things that might help you track-down the problem.

LAME is an encoder only. It is used when you save a file as an MP3. If you are having problems with this, maybe there's something in The FAQ that will help.

For decoding, GoldWave uses the MP3 decoder that comes with Windows Media Payer. If Media Player can play-back the file, I think GoldWave should be able to open it.

That's not true with some formats. Media Player can play WMA files, but if they are copy-protected, you can't open them with GoldWave. As far as I know, you cannot put copy protection on an MP3.

There is a way to choose the codec... I've tried it myself... So, I can't tell you what to do...
OPTIONS->FILE FORMATS->FILE FORMAT PRECEDENCE

I'll bet you already have the latest version of Media Player, right?
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

Hi,

i know that LAME is a Encoder only, but without him i can't open any MP3 File (i known the FAQ and i've read it, before i posted here ;)).

WMP9 (it's the latest for Win2k) can play the Files, that GW5.12 can't open and that is the thing that i don't understand.

Under Options -> File Formats -> File Plug-In Precedence i have only 4 Codecs:

GoldWave*
FLACFile
OggFile
WMA File

yes, i have the latest Version of the Media Player for Windows2000 (it's Version 9).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Are you sure all the files are MP3 files? Can you play them all in Windows Media Player? If so, open one of the files that does not open in GoldWave in Window Media Player instead and view the properties. Does it show the audio codec as "MPEG Audio Layer-3"?

Chris
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

Are you sure all the files are MP3 files?
Yes, i'm really sure, i only have MP3.
Can you play them all in Windows Media Player? If so, open one of the files that does not open in GoldWave in Window Media Player instead and view the properties. Does it show the audio codec as "MPEG Audio Layer-3"?
Here is one of some files, that GW don't open, played with WMP9:

and the same file, that i try to open it with GW:

Another File played with WMP9:

and in GW:

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There may be multiple MP3 decoders installed on your system. It is possible that one of them does not support bitrates above 128kbps. That may be the default one that GoldWave is using. Are you able to open any MP3 files with a bitrate at or above 256kbps in GoldWave?

Chris
mrboov

MP3 codec removal

Post by mrboov »

Chris you have hit the nail on the head.

I have an mp3 codec installed that can only go upto 56k but i dont know how to remove it.

Any ideas plaese??

Mark.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: MP3 codec removal

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Right-click on the speaker icon in the Start bar tray. Select "Adjust Audio Properties", then the Hardware tab, then the "Audio Codecs" item, then the Properties button, then the Properties tab. If there is a codec other than the "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer 3" one that supports MP3 decoding, then try disabling it. Or try increasing the priority of the Fraunhofer one.

Chris
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:There may be multiple MP3 decoders installed on your system. It is possible that one of them does not support bitrates above 128kbps. That may be the default one that GoldWave is using. Are you able to open any MP3 files with a bitrate at or above 256kbps in GoldWave?

Chris
Ok, i have test it with two 256kbps and one 320kbps MP3 File, one of the two 256kbps files can't Goldwave open, but the second 256kbps File and the 320kbps File can Goldwave open without Problems.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If an MP3 file contains sections with different attributes (such as different sampling rates or number of channels), then GoldWave will not be able to open those. Do you get the "no codec" error immediately when you open the file, or does the error appear after some decoding takes place? Could you provide a download link for the problem file for testing?

Chris
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

Do you get the "no codec" error immediately when you open the file, or does the error appear after some decoding takes place?
i get the no codec error after the Processing Audio Decompression window.

and i get some new Errors:

if i open a file i get a C++ Exception and if i open the same file second time, GW crash with this:
Access violation at adress 004E9CBB in module 'Goldwave.exe'. Read of adress 811B7FE4
but the funny thing is: the same file with i get the error and the crash, can GW open and play sometimes. Image

one other Error is Assertion failed: xdrPtr && xdrPtr == *xdrLPP, file xx.cpp, line 2234 and after this Abnormal program termination (after this Error, GW closes herself)
Could you provide a download link for the problem file for testing?
i'm sorry, but if i publish a public download link, it was filesharing and the pm function is disabled in this board :(
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

you know..i had a similar problem with vox files.

For a time, only some of the files i opened would infact open.....the other times, it would give me a mem access violation error. Some things i deiscovered:

If vox file opens....it can be edited and saved.....once saved, it could not be opened again and would cause a critical GW error and close it.

If vos file did not open...it ended there

However, it opened every wav with no problem. After finding a vox that DID work, i could save as wav and it would be fine to open again. but once i saved as vox...no go.

All files that did not work on my XP machine...worked fine on my 2k machine....infact...the 2k machine had no issues at all.

The problem has since gone away, but seriously...i have yet to figure out what caused it.

Just a note....=]
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

MrEisbaer,
I don't know how those errors are possible. Please contact me directly with a download link for the MP3 file.

Togglehead,
Vox file errors can occur if a Windows system decoder tries to handle the vox file. Use the Options | Plug-in | GoldWave* command and add .vox to the list of file types to avoid.

Chris
MrEisbaer

Post by MrEisbaer »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:MrEisbaer,
I don't know how those errors are possible. Please contact me directly with a download link for the MP3 file.
i don't know it too, on the other Win2k PC, i don't have that problems (and both have the same Software & Codecs installed).
Link was send :D

Cheers
Mike
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Solution

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

For anyone with a similar problem, the errors are caused by the ctmp3.acm module, which is installed by Sound Blaster software. The module is unstable for some MP3 files. It is best to delete or disable that module if it is installed so that GoldWave will use the standard Windows MP3 module instead.

CHris