Goldwave vs Acoustica

GoldWave general discussions and community help
maleemi1

Goldwave vs Acoustica

Post by maleemi1 »

I'm looking for a full featured audio editing app to run under XP. I will be using it primarily to split large WAV files into smaller segments by finding the silence between tracks. I'll be doing this to wavs created from LP records and audio books then saving the tracks to LAME mp3's. Click and Pop noise reduction is an important function for me.

In addition I will also want to normalize the volume levels between many hundreds of mp3's

I have been looking at both Goldwave and Acoustica. My impression so far is that both of these apps will do what I need but Goldwave seems to execute significantly faster than Acoustica on my anemic 400mhz Dell laptop.

I realize this is the Goldwave forum so most of you will be Goldwave fans but I am interested in hearing the views of anyone who has used both products.

Which do you prefer and why do you think your favorite is superior.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Marcel
65CJ5

Post by 65CJ5 »

For initial recording of old LPs and then splitting them into tracks I like to use CDWave (www.cdwave.com). I still use Goldwave after that to fix pops, trim tracks, filter and so on.

Stan
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know anything about Acoustica, but I do have a suggestion for your LPs. I use a program called Wave Repair ($30) to "manually" remove ticks & pops. It can work miracles by replacing a defect wih the just-preceeding sound, or some other options. (It has an automatic mode too.) It's strength is getting rid of really bad defects.... Background crackle & more-constant LP-noise is always tough.

The down-side is that it's very time-consuming. More than once, I've spent a full weekend fixing-up an LP. The difficulty is "finding" the ticks & pops. When you start "zooming-in" on the problem, it becomes hard to hear the tick in a short burst of sound...
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

dont normalize....smooth