External exception C000001D

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Jean-Luke

External exception C000001D

Post by Jean-Luke »

Since upgrading to v5.13 I am getting this error when I try to open a wma file. After reading the FAQ's I tried to look at options->file formats and got the same error.

Prior to upgrading, all was fine. If I roll back to 5.12, all is okay.

Where do I look now?

Running on W2K Pro and all available updates from MS except .NET v2. Media player is V9.00.00.334
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

For a problem like that, it's probably best to contact GoldWave directly via the Web email form.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: External exception C000001D

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave v5.13 includes an optimized version of the Ogg Vorbis encoder that requires a processor that supports SSE instructions (Pentium III, Athlon XP, or later). If you have an older processor, then you'll need to revert back to GoldWave v5.12 until the next update is released. Or if you do not use Ogg Vorbis files, then you can delete the OggFile.pig file located in the "Program Files\GoldWave\File" folder before running v5.13.

Chris
Soundoff

Post by Soundoff »

Thanks for the answer Chris, and thanks for asking the question Jean-Luke, I never would've guessed that was the problem. My everyday computer uses an Intel Celeron 533 MHz, definitely an old model! But it runs great, very stable under Windows XP Professional.

I removed the OggFile.pig file, for now. Maybe this will be the excuse that moves me to a newer computer.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

WOW!...how can you deal with the processing time? =D
Soundoff

Post by Soundoff »

Well, I definitely want to amortize this relatively expensive computer (any 6-year old computer seems like it was expensive!), and I have a built-in thrift-gene that wants me to keep things around until they're really ready to be thrown out.

Although I could easily replace this computer with a modern low-to-moderate model for a couple hundred dollars, I'm holding off because this one really does run great. I'm using a free copy of XP Pro that I got years ago and finally put to use, and the machine is absolutely stable, never crashes. Only 256 MB of RAM, but with multiple programs open it rarely does any disk swapping. The hard disk is an 80 GB 7200 rpm model I picked up for $20 on sale(!). The speed really perked up the computer -- a program loads as fast on this machine as it does on a 3 GHz laptop with a 5400 rpm disk drive.

To make a long (and oh so thoughtful) story shorter, I've never run any antivirus software (nor antipop-up or anti-anything else) and that makes a huge difference in a computer's capabilities. I do run Spybot every few months, but it never finds anything (hmm, that could be taken either way). Anyway, the system is lean and clean and runs like a champ. I tend to smirk just a a little when I help a friend with a fairly new computer that's totally gummed up from all the stuff and fluff they never stripped off the computer, or that they've installed, downloaded, etc.

However, your basic point is absolutely true -- loading a large sound file, making major edits, and saving it all take longer on this machine than on a lean and clean modern machine. But I work on sound files only every now and then, and don't spend lots of hours making major edits. Plus, GoldWave is so lean and clean in itself that it runs great on this computer.

I do edit large photo files like panoramas with no problem, except for a few seconds of extra processing time for some special edits, but no big deal.

Okay, sorry if I went on and on, but there's a lot of important issues in this that I like to explore. And I'm sort of proud of this machine, in an old-fashioned "I'm using the original tires that came with this car" sort of a way.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Heh heh....i hear you 100%

I have several machines at this point. An overclocked P4 at almost 4 Ghz, a P4 2.0 laptop, PIII 500...and for Macs, a Powerbook G3, an iMac or two, blah blah....And ill tell you, i love them all for what theyre worth. My G3 300Mhz Laptop runs OSX better than my P4 2.0 with 512 of RAM can Handle XP Pro.....it pretty crazy, but yes, the only time i see some failings is in the large process time. As for the rest of the platform, im behind you on "Keeping it Real." heh heh

I do a lot of major audio work, working often with files over 500mbs in size, so the power of my 3.0 running at 3.8 with 1,024mb of RAM, really pays off. It allows me to process huge files, burn CD's....peruse e-mail and browse the net without any lag......

However, for a portable calender, music player, writing book, e-book, e-mail, finance manging cafe web-browser, the Powerbook is perfect!

I'm with ya!
dbpvr

Post by dbpvr »

hmm ok didn't see this post before I posted the bug post.

well quick fix is to replace the OggFile with the one included in 5.12 and it works fine and you can still encode ogg file format
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Soundoff and Togglehead:

I'm still using a five year old Celeron 800 and it works well - but slow.

Actually I have an AMD dual core 4.2 that I use for music now and it screams.

SO's comments remind me of the expression, "if it isn't broken . . . . "

PN
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Hey hey, im no stranger to that either....as i have an old celery 500 vaio laptop that i used to take around with me.....(i now havea P$ 2.0 and a PB G3 for that)

Nothing wrong with using things until you cant anymore.....but as stated above...might be a great excuse to upgrade....=]