Recording to Goldwave from Cassette Recorder

GoldWave general discussions and community help
BellaOctober1

Recording to Goldwave from Cassette Recorder

Post by BellaOctober1 »

:oops: I can't seem to understand the manual.

All I want to do is record from my tape cassette player onto Goldwave and can't seem to make it happen. Could someone give directions in 'Recording from a Cassette Recorder for Dummies" fashion?

(I have a line connected to the pink mic line in the back of my computer, and the other connected to the mic opening on the cassette recorder) :roll:
~ Teri
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Teri:

The mic opening on your tape recorder is an "IN". It's used for INPUTTING sound to the tape recorder. No sound will come out of it.

I haven't used the onboard sound on a computer for a few years, so I will assume that "PINK" is the "IN" terminal on the computer.

You need to go from and "OUT" on the recorder to and "IN" on the computer.

Hopefully your tape recorder has an "OUT".

PN
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

Preferably connect the Line Out of the tape recorder to the line in of the computer (blue).
If your tape player has no line output, you should try, carefully with the volume adjustment, to use the headphone output, but the quality loss will be perceptible comparatively to a true line output.
Gloup? :-°
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Blandine Catastrophe is right. It's the blue input. The microphone input is too sensitive, and you'll overload it with either the line-out or headphone-out.

There's some helpful information about recording in the Goldwave FAQ.
BellaOctober1

Still no recording!

Post by BellaOctober1 »

I have the connector in the blue computer in-line and in the headphone (out) on the recorder. Nothing is recording. :?:
~ Teri
Sarge

Re: Still no recording!

Post by Sarge »

BellaOctober1 wrote:I have the connector in the blue computer in-line and in the headphone (out) on the recorder. Nothing is recording. :?:
If you didn't do so already, this might be the problem. Press F11 to bring up the Control Properties window, and select the Volume tab on the top. Next check the box that says "Line In", and now try recording. Hope that helps.

Sarge
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

guys guys....think here....

The tape recorder most lieky does not have it own amplifier.... what model tape deck is it....like one of those sony dual deck thingies?

If the tape deck doesnt have its own amp..you will NEED to use the RCA out puts from the back of tape deck, to the PINK MIC input in the PC sound card....(if the tape deck has a PRE-AMP, you can use line in) with the record level adjustment in goldwave, you can eliminate any volume issues.....

What sarge said is correct as well...make sure you selcet which ever input youre using.