bad Sample rate converting

GoldWave general discussions and community help
MadeInHungary

bad Sample rate converting

Post by MadeInHungary »

Hello,
I like convert a sound file from WMV format to WAV. That's generally ok But, if I set any parameter for aoutput WAV, example. PCM 16 bit signed mono and 16000 Hrtz. Than result WAV file sample rate is not 16000 Hrtz, but that sample rate which is in original input WMV file. Can anybody help me solving this problem, or I forget this, when I go play the footbol.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Hungary:

There is an expression (at least in English): "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear".

Converting to a higher sample rate won't produce a better sounding file.

The same thing applies to using mp3 conversions - these are so-called lossy conversions, meaning that during the compression process, quality is thrown away or "lost". Converting an mp3 back to a wave file does not re-create the original quality of the wave file.

PN
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: bad Sample rate converting

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You'll need to change the sampling rate before saving as a Wave file by using the Effect | Resample command. Or you could use the File | Batch Processing command to do the conversion. You can set the Wave output file's sampling rate directly.

Chris
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

nick he might be trying to downsample here.....
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Togglehead:

That's true, but hard to tell from the post.

And of course, we've had a few threads on these forums where someone wanted to improve the quality - one is current.

PN
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

heh heh.....took me a second too....

I dont know why it wouldnt be downsampling though.....however, i dont use GW for WMVs at all....