record directly to mp3/OGG

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ashayk

record directly to mp3/OGG

Post by ashayk »

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible with GW to record directly to an encoded format like OGG or mp3?

Thanks,

A
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

it records to a temp file.....which is nothing but a pure audio file. You choose how to sample it from there.

mp3's are compressed, and GW records to an uncompressed format, such as wav.

there should be no need to record directly to a compressed format
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

There are programs that can do it. One that I know of is: All Sound Recorder ($20) If you search the Net, I'm sure you can find others.

Like most audio editors, GoldWave is a really WAV editor. Everything gets converted to WAV (actually PCM) before editing.
there should be no need to record directly to a compressed format
Some people are recording many hours of audio... Suppose you own a radio station, and you want to archive everything that's broadcast, 24 hours a day! Or, maybe you work for the NSA and you need to record every phone call made in the USA! :D :D :D (....That's just a joke... I'm not trying to make a political statement.)
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

I'm trying to think of an advantage to record directly to those formats.

When you've finished recording in Goldwave, unless you execute the save command you will have nothing. It does not save automatically.

Once recorded, one must SAVE. At this point it is simply a matter of saving to whatever format you wish.

PN
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

piano nick wrote:I'm trying to think of an advantage to record directly to those formats.

When you've finished recording in Goldwave, unless you execute the save command you will have nothing. It does not save automatically.

Once recorded, one must SAVE. At this point it is simply a matter of saving to whatever format you wish.

PN
yeah doug i thought of that too.....but nick put it the way i meant it....lol
my fault
I didnt mean recording in GENERAL, where your example would be a perfect fit....i meant assuming youre using Goldwave....
ashayk

Re: record directly to mp3/OGG

Post by ashayk »

ashayk wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible with GW to record directly to an encoded format like OGG or mp3?

Thanks,

A
DougDBug is absolutely right. There are certain advantages to recording to compressed formats, namely the roughly 10 to 1 storage space savings. With any significant length of recording, as I'm interested in, this is an issue.

Bummer.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Ashayk:

Of course Goldwave does its native recording in a full blown wave file, but no matter what format you wish to use, one must SAVE, and this is where the choice is made. And if nothing is saved, no disk space is used is it, so the size of the file doesn't really matter.

However, if your computer doesn't have enough resources to record a wave file, then there will surely be problems. Hopefully no one is running their hard drive that close to FULL.

Personally I record to memory, not the hard drive, but I have 2.0 GB of RAM. And I sometimes save directly to an mp3, and don't "keep" the wave file.

PN
ashayk

doubt you record to memory??

Post by ashayk »

piano nick wrote:Ashayk:

Of course Goldwave does its native recording in a full blown wave file, but no matter what format you wish to use, one must SAVE, and this is where the choice is made. And if nothing is saved, no disk space is used is it, so the size of the file doesn't really matter.

However, if your computer doesn't have enough resources to record a wave file, then there will surely be problems. Hopefully no one is running their hard drive that close to FULL.

Personally I record to memory, not the hard drive, but I have 2.0 GB of RAM. And I sometimes save directly to an mp3, and don't "keep" the wave file.

PN
I appreciate the feedback. At the risk of sounding rude, I've been using Goldwave for years and my question isn't a matter of simply not knowing how to use it.

Are you sure you record your file to memory? I'm pretty sure it's getting recorded to a temp file unless there is some hidden 'record to memory' setting, which wouldn't be a very good idea. Just check your Task Manager while you're recording, you'll see you're not using up heaps of memory (seconds * channels * sample rate * samplesize/8). 'Save' just re-encodes the temp file to the format you choose.

But this temp file can actually grow quite large. An hour of 44100 kHz, stereo, 16 bit PCM (CD quality) would then be roughly 620 MB. Encoded directly to Ogg or mp3, this could be 60 MB instead, a significant savings.

How much space I have or don't remains irrelevent. I think my question has been answered.

Thanks.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

OPTIONS/STORAGE, brings up a screen where you may choose to store to the hard drive OR to RAM.

You aren't the first one to not know about this feature.

The "pops and clicks" problem is is one of the most common problems that comes up on "productionforums.com". It can be the result of the audio stream being interrupted during recording - when the HD is required to be the source AND the destination for information transfer.

On the "PGMusic forum", the usual recommendation from seasoned users is to use two hard drives, so as not to interrupt the audio stream during recording.

PN