Decreasing loudness, increasing softness

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Pro

Decreasing loudness, increasing softness

Post by Pro »

Lets say someone says "A" loudly, but then "B" softly. Is there a way to bring the volume of "B" up a little, and "A" down?
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

There may be some fancier way than what I do - but what I do works.

Select the sound for which you want to increase the volume, click your volume control icon and use the control to raise the level to whatever you decide is appropriate. Now, for the sound which you would like to attenuate.....
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Sounds like you're looking for compression...not the "smaller file" kind, but audio compression. It makes the louder parts softer & the softer parts louder.
Stiiv
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

dare i say...Normalize?

i would never use it for music....but for voice, it works ok.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Yes, this is called dynamic compression. Compression makes the loud parts quieter and/or the quiet parts louder. This is a reduction (compresion) of dynamic range... less difference between the quiet parts and the loud parts.

Effect->Compression/Expansion.
Note: Some of the settings
in the compression/expansion window are screwy... Sometimes you use "expansion" to compress the dynamic range. :?

There is also an extra-cost plug-in called GW Voice. It has an Auto Gain feature, which might be exactly what you are looking for. (Automatic Gain Control, or Automatic Volume Control are types of compression.)

GoldWave does not have a "Normalize" function. Normalization usually means Maximize (set the volume so the peaks are 0dB), although I have seen it used to mean Automatic Gain Control. (GoldWave does have a Maximize function.)
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Doug:

At first I found the settings under Compression confusing. Then I noted that when one uses "reduce peaks" (on of the defaults) that the multiplier is negative (compression). The multiplier for "boost quiet parts" is positive (expansion).

Now it seems to make sense to me.

Nick