remastering

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Big Muscle

remastering

Post by Big Muscle »

Hello,
I know that this topic has been discussed many times and I've already tried several steps found in this forum.

I have some old songs recorded from tapes. They're live concert from 1985-1990 and I would like to increase they're quality as much as possible. I tried many filters in Goldwave but I'm not able to get some nice result in order to the songs could be normally listened. I know that I can't never reach original quality but at least to get the best result...

It's nice that there aren't any big clicks in song. Some nice result I get by using WinAMP's DFX plugin but I would like to get similar or better result with GoldWave.

Here's sample track: http://www.home.karneval.cz/01027053/hudba/song.mp3
It wants to increase beats, fidelity, dynamics etc.. but i don't know how :(

Can someone help me which filter I should apply etc...?

Thank you very much.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

First, one of my standard comments:
- An excellent recording doesn't need any processing.
- A program like GoldWave can turn a good recording into an excellent recording.
- If you have a bad recording, the cure can be worse than the disease.
increase beats
You can use the Equalizer to boost the low end.
fidelity
You can use the Equalizer to boost the high frequencies too. And, take a look at this post. Blandine Catastrophe has some good suggestions on creating an "exciter" effect. (The exciter effect generates missing high-frequency harmonics.)
dynamics
You can use the Compressor/Expander to increase the dynamic range, or to compress they dynamic range and make everything louder. (Experiment with the presets.)
etc.
Some Noise Reduction and/or Noisegate is almost always helpful. It's usually best to perform the noise reduction first... especially before any compression/expansion that can make the noise-level bounce up and down.

NOTE - Before saving your file, use the Maximize function to set the peaks to 0dB. Otherwise, some effects (such as boosting the bass) may result in clipping when you save the file. (GoldWave's temporary format can exceed 0dB without clipping.)
Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle »

hi, I already tried all these methods before posting my first posts, but it had no real effect, so i'm trying ask.

For example WinAMP's DFX plugin has an option "Bass Boost" which increase beats, "Dynamic Boost" or "Fidelity" and then it sounds ok, but the only way to put it directly to the sound, is recording what Winamp is playing... Is any way how to get it with Goldwave?

And do you think that some studio would remaster (for money) it to very nice quality ?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Try installing the GWAmp plug-in to host Winamp plug-ins directly in GoldWave.

Chris
Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle »

very nice! thanks :)
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

and yes im sure a mastering house will help you...but why spend money yet!!!!