Breaking between each song

GoldWave general discussions and community help
zevw

Breaking between each song

Post by zevw »

Hi!

I am new to Goldwave, just downloaded it on Thursday.

I am copying old cassete tapes that I have to my PC, and then would like to burn them on a CD. What happens is when I record the tape, it becomes one big file. How can I record the cassette, and when a song ends it should break the file and become a new track?

Thanks in advance for your help:)

William
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

only real way to do this without any error....is to cut the tracks yourself.

just highlight the song in the big track....click File----> save selection as

This will only save what you have selected as any filetype you choose.

good luck!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Breaking between each song

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

While recording, you can press Ctrl+Q to drop a cue point between songs. Or after recording, if there are clear silences between songs, you can use the Auto Cue button under the Cue Points tool to find and set cue points automatically. Later you'd use the Split File feature to split the long recording into individual files.

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I have dubbed many of my LPs to hard drive and keep them catalogued in my Music Match Juke Box program.

Here is what I do - someone else may have another way. I record each side of an LP as one continuous track. Then I go back and select a particular cut, highlight the beginning and end point and then "Copy". Once I have done that, I open a new blank recording window and "Paste" the individual track. Then I trim the beginning and end points - I like a quarter second at the beginning and around a full second at the back end. The next step is to "Save" the selection (save to "My Music") and, of course, create a folder (usually the name of the LP) for it and include the name of the tune and the artist. Now, repeat for each track until you have the entire LP dubbed to hard drive. Oh yeah - you may want to convert these files to mp3 or wma in order to avoid clogging your hard drive with wav files.

Sometimes I will use the "Noise Reduction" filter or the "Pop/Click" filter or sometimes I will even increase the volume slightly if it appears to be a bit too low. Any such processing should be done before compressing files to mp3 or wma or any such conversion.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

ooo good info!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can save a couple of clicks by using Edit | Paste New instead of creating a new file and pasting the track.

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Thanks for the tip, Chris.

I am accustomed to doing something a certain way and changing a routine that works is sometimes a bit sticky - especially for an old stick in the mud like me - but if it makes it easier, then I am all for it. I'll try it next time!
mickeygreeneyes

separating individual songs

Post by mickeygreeneyes »

:D Thanks, Don Randall for the hints on song separating and pasting. It worked for me. Thanks again. Mickey