Zooming with Mousewheel

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Dumbolino

Zooming with Mousewheel

Post by Dumbolino »

First, I want to say hello to all here. Although I am new to this forum, I am a Goldwave user for many years and for me, it's just the best audio editor available, I used it on many professional productions and it never let me down!

Here is my question: Why do I have to go down in the screen to zoom with the mousewheel? I really love the mousewheel zooming feature, but for fast editing, it is a little annoying to always move down on the screen. Is there a particular reason for this behaviour?

Cheers

Dumbolino
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

explain a little better....i dont really know what "down on the screen" means
Dumbolino

Post by Dumbolino »

Maybe Chris can answer my question, he'll know what I mean... :roll:
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Well....ive been using GW for a Years no as well..and use my mousewheel for scrolling daily.....

...but if dont wanna elaborate, and wait for Chris, thats fine too. Surely he knows more than i do.
Dumbolino

Post by Dumbolino »

In Goldwave, you have a big screen with the waveform(s) in the upper part of the Program and a small overview screen of the whole track in the lower part of the program. I work mostly in the upper part of the big screen, because my transport controls are there and I use some of the edit buttons very often. When I want to zoom in or out with the mousewheel, I have to place the cursor somewhere in the lower part of the big waveform screen, otherwise the zoom function won't do...
That's my problem, because moving the cursor to the lower part of the screen slows me down...

Cheers Dumbolino
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Hm....ok now i get what youre asking. Interesting, it doesnt do that for me at all. The mouse wheel works in full function on both "screens."

Couple things.....what mouse are you using.....what version of GW?

If you click the scroll wheel BUTTON in the main edit window....it brings up a selction menu, of what youd like to scroll.....perhaps thats causing some issues..although i doubt it....
Dumbolino

Post by Dumbolino »

yeah, you asked the right question: what version of GW... I had a look and then realized, that I didn't update for quite a while. I dld the latest version and now I can zoom (almost) wherever I want. Well, thanks!
I also remembered why I didn't update: my last version is 5.08 and in newer versions, there is a dotted line that shows the zero crossing position of the waveform. For any reason, I don't like the look of the dotted line, maybe because I am not used to it. Nevertheless a question: Might it be possible to change the appearance of this line in future releases, maybe in the colour properties dialogue, so I can use a nondotted white line for example?
(I guess this is going to be the next big feature for 5.15... :lol: )
o.k. thanks for the help
Cheers
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There was a problem with wheel zooming in older versions of GoldWave (it's a bug in Borland's VCL). Installing the latest version will solve that problem.

The dotted line on top of the waveform makes it easier to find the zero line when zoomed in vertically. It also makes a dc offset more noticeable. A solid line would completely hide the waveform for silence. Instead of seeing the green and red lines, you'd see only the zero line. There is no option to change that for now.

Chris
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Glad to help!

=]
Dumbolino

Post by Dumbolino »

ok, I see that a nondottet line wouldn't be good. Maybe the line could be on/off switchable as an option in a future release, but I understand that this has very low priority...
Cheers