No sound when playing back, no recording

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jrc

No sound when playing back, no recording

Post by jrc »

Using Goldwave 5.14, WIN XP system w/ M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card. Audio plays via Windows Media Player. When I import a wav file into Goldwave and try to play it, I get no sound. Also, when recording through Line In on the sound card, nothing seems to happen. I have the sound card selected as both the playback and recording device in Control Properties.
John
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

:? This is just a guess:

Some high-end soundcards like to use ASIO drivers, and GoldWave only works with "regular" Windows drivers. So, make sure that the Windows & DirectX drivers are installed.
I have the sound card selected as both the playback and recording device in Control Properties.
Windows might "see" two devices - an ASIO device and a Windows/DirectX device. If so, select the Windows device.
jrc

Post by jrc »

This looks like the problem. The sound card uses an ASIO driver. However, I see 3 recording devices listed in GoldWave - SoundMax (integrated sound), the M-Audio sound card, and "Primary Sound Capture Driver". Is this what you mean?
John
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not support ASIO drivers, but if the sound card is listed in the playback and recording device lists in GoldWave, then that means DirectX drivers are installed and playback should be possible. Try the Troubleshoot button on the Test tab of the Control Properties window to see if that gives any hints about the playback and recording devices.

Chris