Waveform not redrawn when view moves

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ddddave

Waveform not redrawn when view moves

Post by ddddave »

Hi.

This only seems to happen while I'm recording... sometimes when I navigate through the recorded waveform, it doesn't show up completely. The picture below may be a bit more descriptive. :)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/airswing/gw.png

That big gap actually has data there but you can't see it in the main window. Looking at the full bar at the bottom of the window shows this. The bit of data on the right hand side of the 'gap' is audio that was recorded after the view had changed.

This problem seems to happen randomly, but fairly often. I can use the arrow keys to move right then left multiple times and eventually I'll trigger it somehow. Moving the viewport one more time will usually fix it up, but it may also cause the same problem. It's kinda random.

This machine is a fresh install of XP with SP2, the current nVidia drivers as of yesterday and a Geforce 6600.

This isn't a major problem but any tips would be appreciated.

Dave.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Waveform not redrawn when view moves

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Are you using the latest version of GoldWave?

Chris
ddddave

Post by ddddave »

v5.14, downloaded from the frontpage yesterday.

Dave.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I have not been able to make that to happen yet. Does it happen only when the vertical, yellow recording position line is within the view? Do you have a single processor system or a dual one?

Chris
ddddave

Post by ddddave »

You're right, it seems to only happen when that yellow line is visible. I tried for a couple of minutes to trigger it elsewhere and it didn't happen.

This machine has a single core Athlon 2600+

Dave.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problem used to happen in older versions of GoldWave, but it shouldn't happen in the latest version. I'll continue testing to see if I can get it to occur (no luck so far on a dual processor computer). If anyone else has seen the problem, please post.

Chris
holtram

Post by holtram »

Just to chime in - yes I've seen the situation also. Usually it's when I am recording something quite long and have recorded quite a bit with the screen just showing maybe the 1 minute or 10 second view. When I switch to "show all" I will sometimes see a gap in the waveform. Usually what triggers it is switching back and forth from different time-frame windows.

Sometimes I have dragged the window partially off the screen and back on and it will slowly re-draw in chunks.

I am on a single processor machine and v5.14. Also, I have disabled the overview graph display on mine.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Thanks for the additional confirmation, holtram. Anyone notice the problem on a dual processor system when recording long files?

Disabling background waveform drawing (under Start | Programs | GoldWave | GoldWave Setup) might avoid it for now, but I doubt anyone would prefer that option since it could take a long time before the waveform appears for long files.

Chris
ddddave

Extra info.

Post by ddddave »

Some extra info if you're interested...

In 5.12 (I have an installation on another machine here) I have the same effect, though if the yellow recording line is on the screen for long enough, eventually that gap will be filled in. This doesn't happen on 5.14.

Dave.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Extra info.

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

After extensive testing, I was able to track down the problem. I've made some changes for the next update. Thanks for the details.

Chris
OKCBoy

Re: Extra info.

Post by OKCBoy »

Man, you're just a programming and customer service-driven stud. I wish all software companies could work this way.
ddddave

Post by ddddave »

OKCBoy wrote:Man, you're just a programming and customer service-driven stud. I wish all software companies could work this way.
I'm... not sure about the stud part... but thanks for fixing that up. :)