How can we hear treble and bass in two channels?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
cdeamaze

How can we hear treble and bass in two channels?

Post by cdeamaze »

I use expression evaluator to input 2 waveforms into separate channels. Let's say I like to hear bass clef in my left channel and treble clef in my right channel. Initially, before I input treble, I can hear bass in my left channel. After I input treble in my right channel, I can hear treble in either channel. No more bass in my left channel even though the bass waveform is still showing in my left channel! Where does it go wrong?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: How can we hear treble and bass in two channels?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Be sure to select a single channel by using the Edit | Channel menu before using the evaluator. You mentioned that you can hear treble in both channels, which means both channels were selected when you used the evaluator and the bass audio was overwritten.

If you want to add the treble audio to the bass audio, add "wave(n)+" to the beginning of the expression.

Chris
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

The question I have is this:
I placed bass in left channel and treble in right chanel.
Initially, before I input treble, I can hear bass in my left channel.
Then after I input treble in my right channel, I hear treble in both channel whether I select left or right or both channel(s). Where does it go wrong?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Did you select the right channel only before you entered the treble expression? After processing, to hear only one channel at a time, adjust the Balance fader in GoldWave's Control window to fully left or right. If it still does not work, make sure you have the latest version of GoldWave installed.

Chris
cdeamaze

Could there be a bug in our software -right channel not work

Post by cdeamaze »

I placed bass in my left channel ...I was wrong to say I heard treble in both channels. I should have said that I heard bass in both channels. Actually, you will hear only whatever you placed in your left channel regardless of which channel you selected. Can someone else verify my observation? If true, then there is a bug in the software! :( I tried both old version 4.12 and new version 5.14, I got the same results.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Could there be a bug in our software -right channel not

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I tested evaluating different expressions in different channels and it worked fine in the current version. You can see what channel is currently selected in the upper, left status bar. Make sure only the left channel is selected when evaluation the bass expression, then make sure only the right channel is selected when evaluating the treble expression. Also make sure the Balance fader in the Control window is set to center to hear both channels.

Chris
cdeamaze

Channel select, Balance and How can you hear treble and Bass

Post by cdeamaze »

Thanks, Chris.
After checking carefully what you said, I found out I had a mistake.

I have a monitor speaker, which I assume is in stereo. The assumption may very well be wrong. Here is why. I found out if I connect a pair of speakers directly instead of using my monitor speaker. I can hear treble and bass in both channels provided balance is not at the extreme. :) If I switch the balance to the exrtreme right, I hear only right channel and if I switch to the extreme left, I hear only the left channel.

The channel select just affect which waveform is highlighted. In other words, it affect what you see but not what you hear. On the other hand, the balance affect what you hear but not what you see. So I suppose when you select the right channel and move the balance to the extreme left, you will see right channel waveform being highlighted while hear music coming from your left channel! :D