Vocal sounds bad, I recoreded . .

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jschmidt

Vocal sounds bad, I recoreded . .

Post by jschmidt »

I am recording an un accompanied vocal from a cassette tape.
While recording, the monitored sound was just great. It was a newly created file with nothing added. The playback sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. I have tried several times to find why and cannot, it is always the same. It makes me think that somehow, there is some Effect active that I cannot see.
Any help would be appreciated.
-John
:?:
-John
OKCBoy

Re: Vocal sounds bad, I recoreded . .

Post by OKCBoy »

jschmidt wrote:While recording, the monitored sound was just great.
Just a guess, but is there any chance you were monitoring with speakers instead of headphones? If so, your microphone may have picked up some reflections of the speaker sound.
jschmidt

Post by jschmidt »

My input was a stereo coax, no microphone. I am wondering how to see if by some means there was an effect in play.
I was using speakers rather than a headset for both the original monitoring of the recording and the final playback.
OT. I grew up in Oklahoma City and went to school at Edmond High and Central State College in the early and mid '50s.
-John
-John
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

FYI - GoldWave does not let you add any effects during real-time recording.... I don't know what the problem could be... Something's not normal... :?
timk

Post by timk »

I wonder if, when you were recording on the computer, you were actually picking up the sound with a microphone rather than (or in addition to) through the line-in. Did it happen to be a laptop with a built-in microphone? You could check your software mixer and make sure that the only input selected is the "line in".
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Vocal sounds bad, I recoreded . .

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure the cassette deck is connected to the line input on the computer and not the microphone input and the plug us firmly in the socket. If you are using RCA cables, make sure the left and right plugs are connected to the correct outputs. If it is not an RCA cable, make sure it is a stereo cable with three sections on the plug.

If your sound card included any software for adjusting settings or mixing, make sure that advanced features or hardware effects are turned off (especially if there is a Karaoke setting).

Chris
jschmidt

Post by jschmidt »

Thanks,
I will check my sound card (Realtek AC97 Audio). The information that you included that no effects are active during recording is what I really need to know and believed that to be the case, but I could always be wrong. I am glad to know that for sure.
-John
-John
jschmidt

Chris, it was my sound card set for "Bathroom" !!

Post by jschmidt »

And to think that I am using a 30 year old tape (fragile) and recorded 90 minutes into Goldwave at "Bathroom" setting. All I can say is that it does make it sound like a bathroom. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a bathroom effects setting on my card.
Thanks again, you really caught the problem.
-John
-John
OKCBoy

Re: Chris, it was my sound card set for "Bathroom"

Post by OKCBoy »

jschmidt wrote:And to think that I am using a 30 year old tape (fragile) and recorded 90 minutes into Goldwave at "Bathroom" setting. All I can say is that it does make it sound like a bathroom. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a bathroom effects setting on my card.
Thanks again, you really caught the problem.
-John
Good deal, John. We treat CSC (now Univ. of Central Ok.) alumns right around here. :wink: