How to change pitch over time...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
spenlinhauer

How to change pitch over time...

Post by spenlinhauer »

I have what I think is a rather complex task, and I am not sure if Goldwave can do this or not.
I need to change the pitch of a sound over time.
Think of a steam train leaving the station, where the "choo-choo" sound is slow and then starts going faster and faster.
The thing is that at a certain time, the "choo-choo" needs to beat match a piece of music.
We are using Multisequence to layer the sounds, so I only need to affect one track at a time.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

SEPP!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm not sure, but I don't think GoldWave can do exactly what you want. You can use the doppler effect to ramp the pitch. That's the pitch-shift effect you get when the train passes-by at a constant speed. I don't think you really wan't a pitch change... You want a rhythm change.

You can also look at the Pitch Shift and Time Warp effects, but as far as I know, you can't ramp these.

I think the perfect solution would be MIDI software and a MIDI keyboard. It could be done without an actual MIDI keyboard, but this whole MIDI thing is beyond my expertise.
spenlinhauer

Post by spenlinhauer »

Thanks for the doppler effect advice.
You are right, its close to what I want, but not quite.
It would be more rhythm - or beat change.
As the train leaves the station, it gets faster,(and presuming you are on the train, it does not change pitch) which is different than hearing a the pitch change as in a passing train.

Thanks Again
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not have a dynamic tempo effect. However you could do it in sections, but it would take a bit of work. You'd select a short section and use the Time Warp effect to change the speed with the Similarity or FFT algorithms to preserve the pitch. You'd select the next short section and change the speed to a different value, etc.

Chris