Possible to play a file and record a section in GW together?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
allstar2136

Possible to play a file and record a section in GW together?

Post by allstar2136 »

For a long time I've really wanted to be able to mix files in GoldWave without timing the mix myself. For example, I'll record something on guitar then go back and play the audio file through GoldWave while recording a section in GoldWave for the lead. I then have to trim the lead file down and zoom in on the original file, place the lead where I think it sounds multiple times until it sounds like it's about right... etc.

I would really like to be able to play the original file at the same moment I set the 2nd file to record... so it is not necessary to edit the second file to make it come in on time.

If there is anyway to do this I'd appreciate it, I've really wanted to do this for a while now.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Sure there is.

Start|GoldWave|GoldWave Settings

Click the box that says "Allow playback while recording".

Sarge
allstar2136

Post by allstar2136 »

Well, that allows me to record while something else is playing, which I already know how to do...
What I want is a way to play 1 section or 1 window within GoldWave at the exact same moment I click "record" on another window... I hope that makes sense.

For example, I will playing something on guitar and record it in GoldWave, then open a new sound window...
I'll press "record" on the new window and then press "play" on the sound window I recorded in first. As the first sound plays I'll add lead guitar to it but when I mix the lead with the first sound (the rhythm) it's off time because of the time it took me to press "play" after I pressed "record".

Thanks!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You can do a "sound-on-sound" recording, and mix in real time, but I don't think that's what you want to do. For that, take a look at the Recording FAQ.

For post-production mixing, I think you'll need "more professional" software. I'm not sure if Multiquence can do it, but I assume Pro Tools can.

As I understand it, pro equipment/software uses the SMPTE time code to keep everything in sync.