Does Goldwave work in VMWare?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
lurkusmaximus

Does Goldwave work in VMWare?

Post by lurkusmaximus »

It seems to install OK. I can see the Sound Blaster virtual device, but when I have incoming streaming audio, Goldwave never sees it. It does seem to see the Windwos sounds, but not streaming audio.

Since I just upgraded to an x64 box, I think this is the only place I can run Goldwave as I do not believe that it runs natively on x64 boxes running in Windows XP64. Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks.
nuvolablu

Post by nuvolablu »

none
it doesn't work in vmware
AndrewTheArt

Yes, it does

Post by AndrewTheArt »

It worked for me running Windows XP 32 bit in VMWare (VMWare being on Linux though).
~Andrew
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Does Goldwave work in VMWare?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave runs under VMWare on Windows. I frequently perform tests on GoldWave in a variety of VMWare sessions running different versions of Windows.

There is no need to run GoldWave in VMWare on a 64 bit version of Windows. It should run directly.

Chris
Levantine

Goldwave in VMWARE

Post by Levantine »

I am trying to use Goldwave on a mac using VMWARE FUSION. I also am not able to record incoming streaming audio. Plus I am unable to turn the mic off. I mute the mic in apple OS and in volume control in win xp. It still records only what the mic picks up. Any solutions?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

In windows, bring up your volume controls. Click Options..in the box that follows, select "Recording Control". In the box you should see a bunch of devices (my laptop has Recording Control, mono mix, stereo mix, cd audio, line in [it lacks line in], and microphone)

the first one, Recording Control, is the master recording volume..think of it as the master volume on the mixer. make sure the device you want to use is checked in the box and click ok. The volume control will change to a similar looking window called "Recording Control", make sure the device you want to record is selected and volume levels adjusted to what you need.

On the mac end, i'm not sure how that would work. I'm also wondering if maybe, there's a limitation in VMWare where it can't record from a line-input or anything..but check your windows volume and look around and see if there's a recording mixer for macintosh.
Levantine

Goldwave in VMWARE

Post by Levantine »

Yes I have the settings set on the xp side. I found out that goldwave does not record using VMWARE. And just to add to it, IMACs are unable to record streaming audio at the same time as it is being played. Interesting. Here I bought a mac for multimedia capabilities and I can't do it without the big hassle I am encountering.

thanks for your help

have a nice evening.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

i find it interesting that goldwave just "can't" record within VMWare..because VMWare is *supposed* to emulate an entire system..sound card included...so goldwave doesn't know it's running in a virtual enviroment.

You say iMac can't record and play at the same time...which means it can't full-duplex..are you trying to record a stream you're playing? It's quite possible that with the emulation involved...goldwave wouldn't be able to see the WAVE stream from the imac side anyway. I've not played around much with VMWare or other vmachines....i also lack an OS to install in one aside from Win2K..I might do that later just to confim what i told you.

if you're trying to "full-duplex" record a stream that you're playing off the net...have you tried doing EVERYTING in VMWare on the windows side...since the card is "emulated" you might be able to get it to work that way or is there a specific reason you have to play the stream back on the mac side?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Goldwave in VMWARE

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Levantine,
GoldWave seems to record fine when running in a Windows session in VMware on a Windows OS. I don't know how things work in VMware on a Mac. There could be hardware limitations or OS limitations. Try changing the recording device selected in GoldWave and the volume device (press F11, Device and Volume tab). I have noticed that VMware does not map the volume sources correctly and you have to select the appropriate recording source in the host OS (outside of VMware).

Chris