IMPROVE VIDEO COMPATIBILITY

GoldWave general discussions and community help
nuvolablu

IMPROVE VIDEO COMPATIBILITY

Post by nuvolablu »

is it possible to extend video compatibility to:

• avi – DV-AVI files larger than about 2-1/2 GB opened sometimes but not always. (The jury’s still out on how large a DV-AVI file can be for GoldWave to consistently open it. I haven’t seen any documented limits, but files less than 2-1/2 GB seem to always open while larger ones are spotty. Maybe it’s just my computer.)
• flv – Flash videos, the kind from YouTube, opened but didn't work right.
• m4v - iTunes free video files; got an error message, didn't open.... but the app didn't crash
• m4p - iTunes Protected.m4p; error... didn't open.
• mid - MIDI: This window asked about the settings to use; perhaps giving a little hope to those who understand such settings. MIDI technology is different. I convert MIDI files by playing them in one player and recording them with another tool via my sound card.
• MOV - it didn't open

maybe it is already possible to open with external codecs?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
S.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Chris (GoldWave) will probably have to answer the codec questions. (You might want to take a look at the Files FAQ.)
mid - MIDI: This window asked about the settings to use; perhaps giving a little hope to those who understand such settings. MIDI technology is different. I convert MIDI files by playing them in one player and recording them with another tool via my sound card.
A MIDI file is not an audio file. It's more like sheet music. It's a bunch of instructions sent to the synthesizer on your soundcard/soundchip, so that the soundcard/soundchip can generate the sound on-the-fly. (There are programs that can generate a WAV file rom a MIDI file, or you can record the MIDI as it's playing.)

For the audio/video formats, you might want to look for a tool that can extract the audio to a WAV file. (Since there are many different formats, and many variations of each format, you may need more than one tool. )

SUPER is a FREE "universal" A/V conversion program. It has the ability to strip the audio from an A/V file, and can save it in many different formats.

I use Ulead/Corel Video Studio ($70 - $130 USD) for video editing. It can also split the audio and save it as a WAV or MP3 file. It should have no trouble with DV-AVI files from your MiniDV camera. It can handle other formats too, but it tends to have trouble with the more-compressed formats.
...but files less than 2-1/2 GB seem to always open while larger ones are spotty.
Is this the size of your DV-AVI file, or the size of the saved WAV file? The WAV spec limits WAV files to 2GB.

DV-AVI files are usually only an hour long (one MiniDV tape) and a one-hour WAV file extracted directly from the 48kHz, 16-bit PCM stereo audio, will be much less than 1GB. (2.5GB of DV_AVI is only about 11 minutes.)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: IMPROVE VIDEO COMPATIBILITY

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I think that list was copied directly from a review.

GoldWave does support MOV files and unencrypted M4V, if QuickTime/iTunes is installed. AVI files of all sizes are supported, but that depends on Windows and system decoders.

M4P files are not supported because they are encrypted and copy protected.

MIDI files are not digital audio files.

It may be possible to open FLV files if a DirectShow filter is installed.

Chris