Just Wondering

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Nigga 4 Life

Just Wondering

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

I'm just wondering what is so great about having the images in the manual. I think they should automatically be included without having to be a licensed user. I'm blind so they really don't concern me.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Just Wondering

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The manual images/figures are not included with the evaluation version of GoldWave because it increases the download size by about 20% and complicates the install/uninstall process by adding dozens of extra files that may not ever be used. Not many people go straight to the manual when trying new software.

I believe there is more than enough information included with the evaluation version for someone to determine if the program is worth licensing. And I don't think it is a bad thing that licensed users get something a little extra.

Chris
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

I must be a bit weird then because the first thing I did was read the entire manual. Due to the fact that I had to rely on my memory my whole life, I remembered a great amount of it. So did you just take screen shots of the screens for images?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

The last time I looked at the manual, the images were basically just screen shots.

Personally, I've NEVER cracked the manual (and I remember when an extra..I think $10..would get you a printed/bound manual). I got by solely on "let's try this" and the included help...even to this day if i'm wondering how something works..or what a specific setting does, I go straight for the help.
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

You can crack the manual? There isn't anything to crack, is there?

Yea, I go straight to F1 and if that fails, I go to the manual. I read the manual entirely one day just to have the details on things but I never needed it. It's a very good thing to have on hand. I'm not tryin' tah hate on Chris, but homeboy gotta fix a lot of those mistakes because there are a good amount of spelling errors.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

homeboy gotta fix a lot of those mistakes because there are a good amount of spelling errors.
ROTF nfl!

Remember that the manual's in Canadian English, bro. :wink: You know, "colour" etc.
Stiiv
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

No no no. There are mistakes... I use the same UK-style spelling so I'm used to that. Actually, that is the correct way to spell things. But if you read carefully, there are simple errors.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

heh, i didn't mean crack the manual as in software cracking....i was using it in the term as cracking open a book...where you had to set the book down and open it up....yeah..that's what i was talking about.
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

LOL. What was I thinking? Apparently I wasn't. The figures aren't important anyway.

I was also looking on the site today and noticed it said the page wasn't updated since 30 April but 5.25 was put up 6 May. Do you think this is a mistake or something?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

No, there probably wasn't any updates to the page except updating for the new version, so chris didn't feel the need to change the modified date....most of the users would of been notified even if thier browser didn't refresh because of the date modified text (which most will scan for ANY changes).
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

I was also wondering if the validation algorithm to check if user IDS and licenses are valid changes over time. I wonder how it works as well. Do you have any iea?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

The only time I know it underwent any major overhauls was the transistion from First Name/Last Name/Password to user ID/password.

I'm sure it works very well to a degree...and probably to maintain backwards compatibility with older ID's, it probably doesn't change much. I only make generic vague guesses....most software authors don't want to discuss thier licensing validtaion too much, so let's not get in to it. If you've paid for the program, none of that should matter in the first place.
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

Why don't most authors want to discuss that? It's not like I know what pieces of code to look for in order to reverse engineer anything.