MP3 to WAV?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

MP3 to WAV?

Post by Coriolanus »

If I use Goldwave to save an MP3 file to a WAV file, does this essentially work the same as an MP3 Spliiter? I have an MP3 of an audiobook and each MP3 file is one chapter. If I save that file to a WAV file can I then use Cue points to mark CD Tracks and then with my burner create a CD?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

NOTE - I'v never used GoldWave's cue points.
NOTE - As you may already know, a CD is limited to 99 tracks and 80 minutes.
If I use Goldwave to save an MP3 file to a WAV file, does this essentially work the same as an MP3 Spliiter?

- You can use GoldWave to convert your MP3s to WAVs.
- You can use GoldWave to split an audio file into smaller files.
I have an MP3 of an audiobook and each MP3 file is one chapter.
- Most CDs are made from one separate audio file for each track,
If I save that file to a WAV file can I then use Cue points to mark CD Tracks and then with my burner create a CD?

You can use a single WAV file and add track markers. I've created several "live" music CDs from a single continuous WAV file, with track markers for the individual songs. I created the cue sheet "manually"... I didn't use GoldWave to set/get the cue points.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DougDbug wrote:NOTE - I'v never used GoldWave's cue points.
NOTE - As you may already know, a CD is limited to 99 tracks and 80 minutes.
If I use Goldwave to save an MP3 file to a WAV file, does this essentially work the same as an MP3 Spliiter?

- You can use GoldWave to convert your MP3s to WAVs.
- You can use GoldWave to split an audio file into smaller files.
I have an MP3 of an audiobook and each MP3 file is one chapter.
- Most CDs are made from one separate audio file for each track,
If I save that file to a WAV file can I then use Cue points to mark CD Tracks and then with my burner create a CD?

You can use a single WAV file and add track markers. I've created several "live" music CDs from a single continuous WAV file, with track markers for the individual songs. I created the cue sheet "manually"... I didn't use GoldWave to set/get the cue points.
It sounds as if I can used Goldwave instead of an MP3 Splitter. I can just save the MP3 files as WAV files then process them as I normally due a WAV file.

Maybe other MP3 recordings are dfferent and are just one big MP3 files but this MP3 audio book had made individual MP3 files of every chapter.

Am I correct that I can use GOLDWAVE instead of an MP3 splitter? I just tried an MP3 Splitter and all it seemd to do was take the MP3 files and save them as WAV files.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave's cue points are really nothing all THAT special. It's essentially the same data as .cue files..but displayed in a graphical sense with the ability to edit/create.

While you can use goldwave to split up large mp3's by either making your own cue points or an existing cue file...you must remember that goldwave's output is decoded..so you shouldn't do it to break something up to re-encode back to mp3 as it will be transcoding, although if you really wanted to, you could. Since you're dealing with audiobook, you probably won't have much of an issue should you choose to go back to mp3...but if you're wanting to burn audio CD's, you can just save as wavs.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DewDude420 wrote:Goldwave's cue points are really nothing all THAT special. It's essentially the same data as .cue files..but displayed in a graphical sense with the ability to edit/create.

While you can use goldwave to split up large mp3's by either making your own cue points or an existing cue file...you must remember that goldwave's output is decoded..so you shouldn't do it to break something up to re-encode back to mp3 as it will be transcoding, although if you really wanted to, you could. Since you're dealing with audiobook, you probably won't have much of an issue should you choose to go back to mp3...but if you're wanting to burn audio CD's, you can just save as wavs.
I just want to burn audio CD's -- so I assume that opening the MP3 file in Goldwave and then saving it as a WAV file will work as well as an MP3 Splitter for what I want to do with the file. I am only working with audio books which are in MP3 format - as they are cheaper than their CD Version, but I want the book on CD.

What is difference in using an MP3 Splitter and opening the MP3 File in Goldwave and saving it as WAV file. If it is too big I can use Cue points to split the WAV file into suitable sized pieces.

Is there any limit on the size of the file you can open in Goldwave?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave's ability to open large files depends on the filesystem being used on your hard drive. If you're using NTFS, then it doesn't seem to really have a limit. I've routinely opened and worked on files up to 1.2 gigs in size with no issues.

Mp3 splitters are funky creatures. There are those that are designed to just decode the output to wav and split that way, which essentialy what goldwave does, so it works in that aspect just fine. For what you want to do, then yeah, Goldwave is probably a more logical choice than an mp3splitter...although there ARE mp3 splitters that will actually split an mp3 file up into smaller mp3's without re-encoding...you don't ever run into that suituation too often, but occasionally you will.

If you want to split the audiobook up into wavs to burn to audio CD....then what you can do is create cue points where you want track splits to occur, so you'd have your wav in goldwave with all the cue points, you can then use split track to have goldwave automatically split the file up at cue points (make sure you use CD compatible wave format and alignment)
Kilmatead

Post by Kilmatead »

DewDude420 wrote:If you're using NTFS, then it doesn't seem to really have a limit.
Recently playing with some recordings of +24 hours, it was only too happy to inform me that .wav files have a 4GB limit. It suggested I use .xac or .ogg, which did work.

Curiously the .xac file ended up as 15GB in size and took 2 minutes to "process" when saving. The .ogg took 22 minutes to process. And that's on an overclocked quad with 4GB ram and a Raptor. Can't complain though, it worked!
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

ohohoh, yeah....I forgot that one small technical detail...the WAV format itself apparently has a 4gb limit.