Can't record with Goldwave 5.25

GoldWave general discussions and community help
hollingw

Can't record with Goldwave 5.25

Post by hollingw »

Hello:
I just got a new Dell D630 laptop, installed GW 5.25, and cannot record. I check the sound card settings, volume is ok, not muted, latest drivers installed, correct record input selected, but i cannot record from a CD or DVD.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?????

Thanks,
William
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I just got a new Dell D630 laptop...
With Windows Vista, I assume??? Some recording features are blocked/hidden with Vista. (More in formation here.)

You might also find some helpful information in the GoldWave GoldWave Recording FAQ, specifically the section about recording What-U-Hear.
...but i cannot record from a CD or DVD.
Typically, you don't make an analog "recording" an audio CD. You "rip" it. Ripping is slang for Digital Audio Extraction. This is a lossless process that simply copies and "repackages" the unaltered PCM data into a WAV file (unless you rip to MP3 or other lossy format). And, ripping is much faster than real-time recording!

With GoldWave, you can use Tool -> CD Reader. I use a free ripping program called Exact Audio Copy. Another very popular free ripping program is Audiograbber.

DVDs are a different story. You may need to use the "What-U-Hear" technique to make an analog recording. (Actually, a digital-to-analog-to-digital recording...)

Commercial DVDs are encrypted, and here in the USA (and most countries) it's illegal to rip the DVD and "crack" the copy protection. If you search the Net, you can find DVD audio ripping programs. I don't actually know if these are legal or not... I don't know if the audio is encrypted... Maybe just the video is encrypted. As long as you don't crack encryption, it's Ok to make a personal-use copy (here in the USA).

I don't have a DVD-audio ripping program, and I can't recommend one... And, I don't remember seeing any free DVD-audio ripping programs, but I haven't really searched.