Noise Reduction - Cant Save

GoldWave general discussions and community help
kenneth

Noise Reduction - Cant Save

Post by kenneth »

After I do noise reduction I cant seem to save. Here is what I do. I click on the noise reduction icon and the noise reduction pop up menu appears. I select the preset on the bottom drop down menu called "hiss removal" I hit the play and listen to it and it is exactly what I want. I then click OK and the noise reduction pop up menu disappears I listen again and the hiss has diappeared. I now hit the save button and the exit. However when I run Goldwave again and listen to the wav file again the hiss is still there. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Kindest regards,

Ken
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Noise Reduction - Cant Save

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Are you saving in 8 bit format? If so, try saving in 16 bit format. 8 bit files are inherently noisy and have a poor signal-to-noise ratio.

Chris
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am saving as Wave u-law 8000Hz, 64 kbs, mono. This will be used for voice prompts on a phone system. I tried to save under different formats but it did not seem to help.

To apply the preset "hiss removal" I select it from drop down menu and just click OK. I dont have do do anything else right?

Kindest regards,

Ken
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

I just noticed another thing that may be relavant. When I select "hiss reduction the Y axis goes to 80 db but after I save it goes back to 100 db.
Or even after I exit the noise reduction window and go back the Y axis goes back to 100 db.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Noise Reduction - Cant Save

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Selecting the preset and choosing OK is all you need to do. The settings are reset to the "Default" preset, so it is normal for the line to be back at -100dB next time.

After applying the effect, try using the File | Save Selection As command to save it to a Wave file with PCM 16 bit attributes to see how the quality sounds.

Chris