GoldWave 5.25 and ID3 handling

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dda

GoldWave 5.25 and ID3 handling

Post by dda »

It seems to me that between Goldwave 5.23 and 5.25 some changes have been made in the ID3 tags are handled.

Is anyone else seeing this?

All my batch re-samples of MP3 PodCasts now remove the YEAR tag and the COMMENT tag.

The input files have ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags... as they have had for the many years I have been running this processing chain.

Any help would be most appreciated because my well-worn reprocessing "work flow" is now broken!!!!

dda
dda

Goldwave 5.24 and ID3v2.4

Post by dda »

I can see from my history that the changes probably occurred in 5.24 of GoldWave.

Can any one tell me what the "rules" of ID3 processing now are?

All I know at the moment is that my ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are being shredded!

Possibly GoldWave no longer copies ID3 tags that it doesn't make use of itself?

HELP!!!!

dda
dda

Checking on LAME encoder

Post by dda »

I am just checking on whether somehow, a back-level LAME encoder has been introduced.

Can anyone tell me how GoldWave selects which lame dll to use, if there are many of them hanging around the filesystem?

dda
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave uses the lame.dll wherever it's looking for it. Either in Windows\System or Program Files\Goldwave - if one exists in both, i don't know what the order is.

i honestly don't know what to tell you about how goldwave handles id3 tags exactly. I will tell you it ONLY handles ID3v1...not v2. It should leave your v2 tags alone. As far as v1's, I really don't know the exact rules. There's the tag entries Goldwave has, it'll use those, any other tags it SHOULD ignore.

I have no idea what you mean by shredding. If you think this is a big deal you do know they make programs specifically for mp3 tagging. http://www.mp3tag.de is a good free solution.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I think Chris (GoldWave) will have to answer this one. Chris doesn't participate on the forum every day, but if you don't get an answer in a couple of days, you can contact GoldWave via the Web Email Form.

When you edit an MP3, the audio data has to be decompressed, then re-compressed before saving. When you save, the old MP3 file will be completely overwritten, or an entirely new file will be created.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the ID3 information has to be read and temporarily stored during editing. Then, new ID3 tags have to be created for the new (or revised) files. This wouldn't be too hard if there were a single standard, but every compression format has its own tag variation, and you've got additional non-standard stuff like MP3 Gain, cover artwork, etc. ...I think it should possible for GoldWave to properly handle ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, as long as the original file's tags are standard-compliant.

Again I could be wrong, but AFAIK, the LAME encoder itself doesn't do anything with tags.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

You're right doug...I didn't think of that.

Id3v2 tags are stored at the beginning of the file, if you overwrite the file completely, it's gone.

Never relied on goldwaves tagging...so I don't use it often.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: GoldWave 5.25 and ID3 handling

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave supports reading and writing of ID3v2 tags and will read (but not write) ID3v1 tags at the end if the file, if present. It updates ID3v1 tags to ID3v2 when saving the file.

The YEAR (Date) and COMMENT (Description) fields are supported and preserved, but different programs may handle or store them differently. Try opening a file in GoldWave before and after and use the File | Information command to check what information is present.

Also make sure that you have not changed the batch processing settings under the Information tab.

Chris
dda

More Specific Explanation

Post by dda »

Chris, I should have been more specific....

I have a bunch of several hundred podcasts to process. They are all MP3 files. I use GoldWave to re-sample them (down-sampling with GoldWave AutoGain --- beautiful results)..............

Anyway, every version of GoldWave that I have, up to and including 5.23, reads these files, and as you describe, in the File | Information, I see the ID3 information and therefore it gets written out to the down-sampled files.

In version 5.25 of GoldWave however, it DOES NOT read the ID3 information... therefore it does not copy across.

I am using EXACTLY the same MP3 files.... it's broken.
dda

Oh No!!!!

Post by dda »

Well, here I am with egg on my face again!!!!

This is very curious. The machine I was testing on for version up to and including 5.23 was my desktop. 5.25 has been running on my laptop.

After my last post I though, "oh well, drop back to 5.23 on the laptop"...

Well, on the laptop 5.23 cannot read the ID3 data from the files!!!!

So Chris, I have to appeal to you!!! ..... what might come between GoldWave and the reading of the ID3 data in an MP3 file????

Not the LAME encoder I guess (I think that only gets involved in the WRITE.... correct?).

Both systems are Windows XP service pack 2.

The MP3 files are on a USB Thumb Drive..... so they really are the SAME FILES I am reading on both systems.
..... and no, it makes no difference if I move them off the Thunb Drive and put them on the internal hard drives.

Any Ideas??

David Armitage
dda

Strange Behaviour

Post by dda »

This may be a clue...........

If I load an MP3 file on the "failing system", then edit it (say delete a few seconds), then try to SAVE, I am told:

"Note: File information (artist, title, copyright, etc.) cannot be stored in this file format."

Whereas if I do a SAVE AS, and select to save as an MP3 file, it saves just fine.

This suggests to me that even though it has loaded the MP3 file.... it has not recognised it as MP3 (in some strange way).... therefore perhaps didn't even LOOK for the ID3 data ?????????????????

On the "working system" these mp3 files can be loaded, edited slightly, then saved with a Ctrl-S. (ie saved over themselves) as you would expect.
dda

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dda »

Options --> File Formats --> File Plugin Precedence.

I moved GoldWave to the top of the heap.

Problem gone!!!!
zudrick

Re: GoldWave 5.25 and ID3 handling

Post by zudrick »

8) To retain the ID3v2 tags when converting mp3's from 1 bit rate to another bit rate i have found that if you delete the ID3v1 tags from the mp3's first and leave the ID3v2 tags alone when you convert them the ID3v2 tags remain intact, i hope this explains and helps other people who use this great program keep up the good work chaps.