Feature Request

GoldWave general discussions and community help
intoaudio

Feature Request

Post by intoaudio »

Maybe sometime, Goldwave will be able to give me a smooth scrolling waveform while recording instead of jumping the way it is now. I always zoom in to one minute while recording, and when the record marker gets to the end of the viewable area, it bounces over a whole minute. Maybe something could be implemented so that when the record marker gets within 10 seconds of the end of the viewable area, the waveform would start to scroll smoothly, so I always have the last minute of audio in view.
Also could the waveform visual be drawn in perfect real-time while recording instead of the half-second interval between waveform re-draw? I have worked with software that draws the recorded waveform instantly and smoothly during recording, and that is worth something, believe you me!
If that could be thought about, twould be great and make at least one user's day twice as great! thx.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

You're talking about Adobe Audition aren't you?

What you don't realize is the amount of overhead that goes in to being able to produce a smooth waveform in that manner...it's entirely too much..

Honestly, in the audio-engineering work I do, I find it pretty much useless. If you want to view a waveform as it's recorded, use the control visuals...if you need to monitor the recording in a detailed manner...that's what the control visuals are for...i find spectrogram to be about the best thing for visually monitoring a live recording....i mean, seriously, if you DO see a problem while recording....there's not much you can do. I've often gotten angry at Audition for the amount of overhead it takes because it's keeping track of the peaks and recording at the same time...it's entirely too much overhead to waste on a recording process.

on my 2.5ghz P4 machine with 2gb ram...I can open two copies of goldwave and record from two separate sound cards simultaneously without any error. I can't do that with Audition becuase of the way it tracks the waveform while recording just taxes the system.

Goldwave is designed to be powerful but not eat resources....all these "nice" features you bring up are just that...nice to have. It's not a necessity and most hardcore engineers, including me, don't want all that nice crap...it's not necessary for me to do my work nor is any of it the reason I use Audition.

I'll admit to using Audition..but of course i've "graduated" up from Goldwave....and all those nice annoyances of audition have no bearing on how I use it.....

however, a full spectrum view in the file window IS the one thing I'd like to see.