-

GoldWave general discussions and community help
musiccreator

-

Post by musiccreator »

How do you combine two songs together, I can make them play one after the other but i can't get them to play at the same time. Can you do this on Goldwave and how.

For example: i want to put sound effects over the top of a song.

Please HELP
intoaudio

Post by intoaudio »

Have you tried using the mix feature? If you open both of the files you want to mix, then select the one that you want to mix and press Ctrl+C (copy). Then go to the other file, the one that you want to mix the other file with, click where you want to start the mix, and click Mix. You'll get a dialog which gives you the option of how loud you want to mix the file, and then click OK. That should give you the results you're looking for.
However, if you're doing quite a bit of mixing like this, I would recommend you check out Multiquence. Way more efficient at mixing!!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

A couple of hints for mixing...

Of course, make a back-up of the file you're mixing-into. (Or make a copy of both, just to be safe.)

You can adjust the volume of the 2nd sound that you're mixing-in, but if you want to adjust the volume of the original file that you're mixing-into, you'll need to do that before mixing. (I assume Multiquince doesn't have this limitation.)

After you mix, run Volume -> Maximize. When you mix, the audio gets added together, and the volume increases. Maximize will reduce* the level to 0dB if necessary to prevent clipping (distorted flat-topped waves). GoldWave can temporarily hold values over 0dB, but if the level goes over 0dB and you save the file, you'll get clipping. For the same reasons, if you need to adjust the mix-levels it's usually better to reduce the file that's too loud, rather than increase the file that's too quiet.

* Maximize will either increase or reduce the level as required to set the peaks at exactly 0dB, which is the "digital maximum".