No sound coming through Record Device

GoldWave general discussions and community help
MikeDig

No sound coming through Record Device

Post by MikeDig »

I appreciate any help in advance...

So I got a new computer with Windows 7. Downloaded Goldwave... and so far when I record, can't get anything to come through the device to record.
At first, I couldn't even hit record and have anything move... but following advice from another thread, I was at least able to hit "new" and when I hit record, the counter moves. But there's nothing to show any sound is getting there.

Under Record Devices, I have two options right now:
"Primary Sound Capture Driver" and "Stereo Mix"... neither will work.

Any advice?
DougDbug

Re: No sound coming through Record Device

Post by DougDbug »

I don't have Win7 or Vista, but what input are you trying to record from? Are you tring to record "Stereo Mix" (i.e. What's coming out of the speakers)?

It could be a driver problem. Are you sure you have Win 7 drivers for you soundcard/soundchip?

Are you hearing anything from the PC's speakers? (Windows has separate recording & playback mixers, but if you're not hearing what you're trying to record that could be a clue.)

You you have the recording volume slider turned-up for the selected input (i.e. for Stereo mix)?
Under Record Devices, I have two options right now:
"Primary Sound Capture Driver" and "Stereo Mix"... neither will work.
I think, you'd normally select both of those together... The "Primary Sound Capture Driver" would be the device (i.e. the soundcard), and "Stereo Mix" or "Mic", would be the particular input for that device.

Try Options -> Control Properties -> Test -> Troubleshoot, and look at Volume Devices and Record Devices, just to see if anything "looks funny".

FYI - You can contact GoldWave Support directly via the Web-Mail Form.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Step 1: If playback or recording gives an error or causes unusual behaviour, always download and install the latest sound driver available from the manufacturer, even if it is a new computer or new operating system. Many sound drivers for Windows 7 so far are unstable and unreliable.

Step 2: Use the Windows Sound Recorder accessory (type in "Sound Recorder" on the Start menu) to test that recording and playback work. If not, then audio is not working in Windows and you'll need to contact the manufacturer or Microsoft to sort that out.

Step 3: If Sound Recorder works and GoldWave does not work, make sure you have the correct playback and recording devices selected (in GoldWave press the F11 key, select the Device tab).

Chris
chen0378

Post by chen0378 »

In Windows 7, if Goldwave recording fine, but not hear sound being recorded:

In System Tray, click the speaker
- Click Mixer
- Click icon for Speakers
- In Speaker Properties>Levels Tab
- Un-mute Input Monitor
Greer

Post by Greer »

chen0378 wrote:In Windows 7, if Goldwave recording fine, but not hear sound being recorded:

In System Tray, click the speaker
- Click Mixer
- Click icon for Speakers
- In Speaker Properties>Levels Tab
- Un-mute Input Monitor
Check in the guide, whether you've done things right in here deoracle.org/tech-skills-software/audio/using-goldwave-to-create-an-audio-clip.html