Freezing - Crashing? Not sure...help

GoldWave general discussions and community help
gravy6

Freezing - Crashing? Not sure...help

Post by gravy6 »

Hi,

I've had to get a new computer. Its a vista (arrggh) I loved xp

Anyway, now occasionally when i start to record a new file, the curser doesn't move and when I press stop, all I have is a black goldwave screen. No recording. The only this that fixes this is restarting my computer. Which I have to do 2 or 3 times a day as I use Goldwave all day long. Any ideas???

gravy
DougDbug

Re: Freezing - Crashing? Not sure...help

Post by DougDbug »

This is only a guess, but it's probably your drivers. Check the manufacturer's* web site for updated drivers. Otherwise, you might need to try another soundcard (which hopefully will come with better drivers).

Another thing that can cause trouble is COCECs. What format are you saving to?

As I'm sure you know, GoldWave itself is pretty reliable.... So, it's usually "something else" causing the problem.
I use Goldwave all day long
Are you saving long/big WAV files? WAV files are limited to 2GB (or maybe it's 4GB). Maybe it crashes after saving a big WAV file? (Most other formats don't have this limit.)

And, computers are the least reliable devices we live with! I always worry about people using computers for anything "critical" (like recording when there's no chance for a 2nd take). If this applies to you, I recommend that you have a backup system (a stand-alone recorder or a 2nd computer, etc.) and record to both.

*If you have a separate soundcard, check that manufacturer's web site. Otherwise, check the website of the computer or motherboard maker.
gravy6

Post by gravy6 »

I`m saving mp3 files. Occasionally wavs, but mostly mp3. Goldwave works for awhile, then the `freeze up` and I can`t figure out the trigger. I`m checking my drivers.

I really don`t want to switch recording programs I`m so comfortable with Goldwave. I didn`t like Sony Soundforge at all.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

MP3s shouldn't be a problem unless you're using the "wrong" version of the LAME encoder, or something. And WAVs shouldn't be a problem if they are under 2GB.

FYI - You can contact GoldWave directly via the Web-mail form. From my experience, Chris (GoldWave's programmer) is very conscientious about keeping GoldWave bug-free, and I think he will try to help you. And, if you've found a bug in GoldWave, he will try to fix it. (He doesn't seem to participate here on the forum every day.)
I really don`t want to switch recording programs I`m so comfortable with Goldwave. I didn`t like Sony Soundforge at all.
If I'm right and it's not GoldWave itself causing the problem, then changing programs won't help. But, it wouldn't hurt to try something else... If another program works, then at least we know it is GoldWave. Audacity is FREE if you want to give it a try.

And, I didn't consider that it could be a hardware problem! Sorry... I'm not really helping to narrow-down the problem...
gravy6

Post by gravy6 »

Its a brand new computer,I've updated the sound card drivers though and it didn't help. I wonder if its a limit on the temporary file cache or something?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Contact your computer manufacturer and tell them to fix their defective sound drivers. Unfortunately many Windows Vista and 7 sound drivers do not work properly (even the latest ones).

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

My computer is now old, I bought it in August of 2004. It works well, with no difficulties, no problems - it's operating system is XP.

My wife's computer is experiencing problems that annoy her greatly - it will shut itself down or lock up for no reason that she can discover. It is a real nuisance. The operating system is Vista. Perhaps Window Vista is just the reincarnation of Windows ME? She asked one of the I.T. guys where she works for some guidance. He told her to go find an older computer with XP on it.

I'm sure I will have to replace my computer one of these days, but you can bet I'll put it off as long as I can. It appears that the new Windows 7 is not really much of an improvement after all.
gravy6

Post by gravy6 »

Ok, so I've reformatted my whole computer (that's a different story). And updated the sound drivers. I was hoping that everything would be fine afterwards, but no. Goldwave records beautifully for about 3 new files, then it just won't record. The only thing that will fix it is restarting the computer. ???

I'm using Windows 7, maudio firewire solo and the newest Goldwave if that helps.

gravy
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Driver, driver, driver, ....

I'm not sure how many times I have to say it. Please contact the manufacturer and give them hell until they start making decent drivers. Yell at Microsoft too for allowing such poorly tested drivers to be installed on their operating system. It makes Windows 7 look really bad.

Chris