"Open With" not working in Win7 64bit?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
clemon79

"Open With" not working in Win7 64bit?

Post by clemon79 »

Okay, weird issue here, unsure if it's GW or the OS where the problem lies.

I'm running v5.55 under Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Normally I'd be able to right-click on an MP3, pick Open With... from the context menu, and then go through the machinations to add Goldwave to the Open With... list for MP3s.

For some reason, it's not working with GoldWave. Win7 won't acknowledge I'm selecting the EXE by populating it in the list of Other Applications. Yet other apps will populate.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm really trying to narrow down whether it's something janky in GoldWave or whether it's a Win7 thing.

Thanks!

-- Chris
Kilmatead

Re: "Open With" not working in Win7 64bit?

Post by Kilmatead »

Frustrating, isn't it? This seems to happen from time to time when the Open-With menu gets overpopulated with "other" applications... no rhyme or reason to it. It just ignores your browsed selection.

The solution is OpenWithAdd (requires no installation, and works under x64 no problem). To be fair, I've not needed it under Win7 as yet, but as it worked fine in Vista x64, it would seem favourable.

You may still need to seek through the list of secondary applications to find it (click the small down-arrow at the end of the "other programs" line), but it will appear somewhere.
clemon79

Post by clemon79 »

Kilmatead wrote:Frustrating, isn't it? This seems to happen from time to time when the Open-With menu gets overpopulated with "other" applications... no rhyme or reason to it. It just ignores your browsed selection.

The solution is OpenWithAdd (requires no installation, and works under x64 no problem). To be fair, I've not needed it under Win7 as yet, but as it worked fine in Vista x64, it would seem favourable.

You may still need to seek through the list of secondary applications to find it (click the small down-arrow at the end of the "other programs" line), but it will appear somewhere.
More puzzling than frustrating, but that's totally going on the utility box, as it fixed the problem perfectly. Thanks very much! :)
Kilmatead

Post by Kilmatead »

clemon79 wrote:More puzzling than frustrating...
Ah yes, you were only trying to have to have it in the list; it becomes fully frustrating when you're trying to associate a programme full-stop (text-editors, etc) and Windows decides to ignore you.

Glad it works though, and proof of Win7 compatibility. :D