Issue with Noice Reduction

GoldWave general discussions and community help
A2k

Issue with Noice Reduction

Post by A2k »

Hello Goldwave Team,

I have the following problem
the effect Noice Reduction does not work properly on Windows Vista, and indeed to the changing selection of Average at 75% is not correct as it should be on the Windows XP it works as it should be since I only have Vista, it is unfortunately do not work, can you please fix that problem?

best regards

Alex
DewDude420

Re: Issue with Noice Reduction

Post by DewDude420 »

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying.

I've used the noise-reduction in XP, Vista and Win 7 and I've never encountered an issue.

However, I've never used the average feature when using noise-reduction because it is not really all that useful, at least with all I do. I always copy a portion of the noise to the clipboard and have NR use clipboard sample to reduce by.
A2k

Post by A2k »

Hello Jay,

thx for the quick reply!

To make the problem a little more comprehensible
I convert the music from mp3 to wave.
Wave-files are needed for HLSS (half-life source sound) l
it`s a programm to play the music in game (waves with only those settings will be played: Number of Channels: 1 Mono, Sampling Rate 8000 Khz) and to get a good quality of the sound i always used that settings Noice Reduction 75% it works great on Windows XP but it doesn`t work on Win Vista, Win 7. Maybe can you tell me the alternative way to reduce the noice?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Do you have the same version of GoldWave on both systems? If so, GoldWave's Noise Reduction will work exactly the same on both computers. The problem is most likely caused by the Windows Vista or 7 sound driver and it's inability to handle 8000Hz files cleanly or a problem with the decoding of MP3 files. Have you tried copying a good file from the XP system to the Vista/7 system to see how that sounds?

Chris
A2k

Post by A2k »

Hello, yes I tested it had the same version on both computers and it will look different on the wave form and sound quality
GoldWave Inc. wrote:Have you tried copying a good file from the XP system to the Vista/7 system to see how that sounds?
yes I've also tried the files that were encoded in winxp, had good quality on vista

regards

Alex
mh

Post by mh »

What are you using to convert from MP3 to Wave?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

First off all, you should NEVER run noise reduction on an mp3 (or other lossy audio) PERIOD.

The thing is...noise reduction works on the basis of removing frequencies in the frequency domain. Mp3 basically does the same thing. I'm not saying they're the exact same process...but the BASICS are the same...you're removing/attenuating frequency bands.

If you're running the same version on the same file on two different computers....but the results are different...then there's a variable you're not taking in to consideration. Having run Goldwave on XP to Win7 64-bit...I can tell you it performs and behaves exactly the same regardless of platform.

If I could hear a sample of the final files...I could probably tell you what's amiss between them....but all I can say is maybe you're missing some slight variable. Even choosing a different sample of noise from the same file can yield different results.