Stereo Mix/Wave Out

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mjcosgrove

Stereo Mix/Wave Out

Post by mjcosgrove »

Hello,

I have tried searching for my answer in existing forum posts, but have had no luck.

I recently got new computers both at my office and my home. My office computer is a Dell (can't remember model) running Windows 7 Pro. My home computer is a Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 Home.

When I ran Goldwave on my old computers and chose the Volume tab under "Control Properties," I was able to select from several options as to what my sound source was for recording purposes (Stereo Mix, which was sometimes called Wave Out; MIDI, Line In, etc.). But now when I look at this tab, there is only one option. I'm not sure what it is on my office computer, but at home it says (Under "Volume Device") "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (Sound B" --- which I assume is short for my Sound Blaster sound card. I want to record streaming audio, but there is no longer any option for that. Is this a change in Goldwave, or is there somewhere I need to go on my computer to enable the "Stereo Mix" option on Goldwave?

As far as I know, everything about the sound card came pre-installed, as that's how Dell operates when you order a computer from them.

Thanks for your help!
-Marty
mh

Re: Stereo Mix/Wave Out

Post by mh »

This is an old problem; search the forums for Vista to get plenty of hits for the solution, including this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3234&p=13771&hilit=vista#p13771
mjcosgrove

Re: Stereo Mix/Wave Out

Post by mjcosgrove »

Thank you. I have no idea how I failed to find that on the forums, because it seems so common. Plus it's in the Goldwave FAQ! Anyway, I tried updating my sound card's driver, but that failed as the driver failed to find the corresponding hardware, though I am positive I selected the correct one. I tried a couple and neither worked.

Then I tried using the "Total Recorder" program mentioned somewhere here, and that worked just fine. So I'm either going to use that to capture audio and then edit with Goldwave, or I'll just run the line out to the line in and see how that goes.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
-Marty