Loops

GoldWave general discussions and community help
MaxSouthOz

Loops

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Hi all
I have recorded a .wav file which I want to play as a loop in a device. I would like to know how to edit the file so I can eliminate the clunk as it ends and starts again, please. I have tried fading up and down at the ends of the files and adding silence, so far - without success.
Regards
Max
Stiiv

Re: Loops

Post by Stiiv »

Firstly, do a search of the Goldwave forums; there are many posts on the subject.

Secondly, read DewDude420's excellent Looping Tutorial.

If you still need help after that, we'll be here.
Stiiv
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

If you are looking for a loop that is seamless and smooth, it is necessary to find start and end points that work to that end. I suggests that you open Control Properties, select Play, Select Yellow, Select Loop and set the number of time you want it to repeat ( I use 1,000 and just stop it once I achieve what I am looking for).

Once you have experimented with cursor placement and find the precise points that give you the results you want, simply stop the looping playback and then save that bit of audio.

Click "Copy" on the toolbar (or use Ctrl C)... Then click "Paste" from the toolbar (or use Ctrl V) as many times as you need in order to get the repetition (loop) you want.

The result of that copy and paste exercise should give you precisely what you decided on when you were looping the playback using the Yellow start button and experimenting with where to place your start and stop cursors.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Sorry, guys. I'm not getting my email responses.
I'll have to check my account settings.
Thanks for the posts. I'll read them and digest.
Cheers
Max
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Thanks Don. It might be that the sample is too rough edged (if that's a phrase). It's going to be the centre (looped) part of a model railcar horn. With Loksound decoders, the horn plays the .int file which runs into the .loop file which plays until the modeler releases the button; at which time the .exit file plays and the horn stops.
I recorded the entire horn with a TASCAM DR-1 and I have chopped it up successfully as I normally do. However this time the .loop file I have created, has a loud ping at the end of each cycle.
I followed your guide and I am able to repeatedly play the file, but I can't find two points where I don't get a ping. I've tried fading up and fading down the ends of the file, without any improvement.
I'm still reading the other posts, but I haven't come across anything which helps so far.
I'm happy to post the file for information of members, but I'm not sure if that is OK to do.
I'm also not sure if I'm in the right part of the forum. I'm happy for the Mods to move it if necessary.
Cheers
Max
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Max, I would think it should be quite reasonable to make the file available to anyone that would like to take a swing at it. I don't know what to suggest, based on what you have told us, but there are some extremely knowledgeable people hangin' around here and one of 'em may just come up with some brilliant insight for ya!

I would recommend parking the sample audio on http://www.yousendit.com and then post the link here so that others can access it.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Thanks Don. I'll have a go.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

I had a look in my account on yousendit, but I can't see any options for parking files. All there seems to be are the facilities for sending and receiving.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

You Send It dot Com allows you to send audio files... the files are parked on their server for a predetermined period of time or a predetermined number of downloads.

Load the file then send it to yourself at a second email address if you have one - create a new one if you don't have one... Email accounts Are FREE from several different sources.

You will have a url... a link that you can post here which will allow a few of us to open your file and see if we can figure something out that might be helpful to you. I won't even try to do that part, because I believe others are far better able to handle that kind of thing than I.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Thanks,Don. I didn't think of that. I have several email addresses. I'll try sending it to myself. See how we go.

BTW, I'm still not getting any emails from this group.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

I hope this works.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... Ukd4dnc9PQ

It looks OK, I think?
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Should I post this thread in the General forum as well?
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Should I post this thread in the General forum as well?
Once should be quite enough. The community here is not really all that large and most of us read all the notes and reply to those which we may have an opinion or advice to offer.
BTW, I'm still not getting any emails from this group.
I believe it is usual and customary that we read your note here on the message board and post a reply here on the message board. Perhaps I have been doing this incorrectly all these years, if so, I would appreciate it if someone would set me straight.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but left click the link to listen, right click the link to save it to your computer: http://www.theradiohelper.com/horn_looped.wav

I will leave the track on my server through the day Tuesday, May 4 after which I will remove it. I hope you find it while it is there and available.
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

Thanks, Don. Perfect.
Two questions. How do I save the .wav file from the link? and
How did you do it? (so I can do one as well)
Regards
Max
MaxSouthOz

Post by MaxSouthOz »

I answered the first question by trial and error, Don Thank you.

Now, how did you do it? :oops: :shock:
Cheers
Max