Making my Song Edits sound better in Goldwave 5.67

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mr coolvibe

Making my Song Edits sound better in Goldwave 5.67

Post by mr coolvibe »

Hello all, could not really find anything on this in forums . Hopefully some can advise me on the best way to make my Mp3 song editing sound more professional in Goldwave. I mainly like to edit Profanity or vulgar words out of my songs so at my House parties etc, out of respect, no one older or younger or with kids will get offended etc.
I tried deleting words, but there is those noticeable pauses now in songs most of time where words were deleted. I also tried going thru mostly all the Goldwave plugins and effects to place over bad words, like Band Pass Stop,Reverse, wah wah, remove vocals etc, but sometimes it sounds okay, but many times, can still hear bad word, or pauses, or takes song off beat, just does not sound too crisp or professional, edits still too noticeable when playing songs.

I also tried to use crossfade to precisely cover over edits, but still not coming out too well. I have seen in other expensive audio editors like Reaper Audio, they have a very useful (Auto Crossfade) feature that can be auto applied to edits etc, that sounds very good and hides edits while keep song on beat too, comes out pretty well. Reaper is just too complicated and not new user friendly. Is there any way to do this in the latest Goldwave like to set as an Auto Crossfade? Or is there any better ways, like a DJ scratching effects or plugins anyone knows, to make my edits sound better, or unnoticeable? Many Thanks for your help!!!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Making my Song Edits sound better in Goldwave 5.67

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Try the Censor effect. It can replace unwanted sections with other audio, crossfading ends and keeping the beat.

Chris
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I also tried to use crossfade to precisely cover over edits, but still not coming out too well. I have seen in other expensive audio editors like Reaper Audio, they have a very useful (Auto Crossfade) feature that can be auto applied to edits etc, that sounds very good and hides edits while keep song on beat too, comes out pretty well.
I think the censor effect with the a crossfade and the clipboard is close to what you want... You can copy a short "similar" section into the clipboard before running censor. This can work well, but there are a couple of things that make it tricky... It can be hard to "find" a similar section, when the selection is only a fraction of a second. And, you have to select a "similar" selection with the exact-same time duration in order for the crossfade to work nicely.

Sometimes, I'll select the foul-language, copy it into a new file, reverse it, copy it back into the clipboard, and use Censor with crossfade. (It would be nice if reverse was built-into the censor effect so that you could more-easily reverse with a crossfade.)

You can try the same trick, combining the Reduce Vocals effect with the censor effect.

...Yeah, it's tough with music where you don't what to interrupt the Rhythm/beat. I don't think I've ever had "perfect" resulsts, where you couldn't tell there was an edit.

I've had better results with movie dialog with simple cutting/splicing/crossfading, or simply muting, as well as several of the censor options. (A "bleep" is usually the last resort.) A couple of times, I've used a sort-of stutter effect, for example, changing "You **** " to "You... You...". But, I think with music it sound sound like a "skip".
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

If you cut something or drop the volume, you create a "bump" in the music.

One thing that comes to mind, if you don't want to "beep" or "duck" the offending word with the Censor tool, you can highlight the offending word and then reverse it. Select the offending word or phrase, then click on the tool, it's on the tool bar and is simply an arrow pointing to the left.
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

When vocals are centered, I've had pretty good results by simply canceling out the vocals (or using the "remove center channel" under the Stereo Effect if you want to preserve the stereo.) To keep it seamless, I take the immediate waveform on each side of the offending word and crossfade it with its out-of-phase [or removed-center-channel] self. This way the music and rhythm will continue to play with out a missed beat.

Here's a clip I just edited that had two instances of the F-word (The line is, "F*** my enemies! F*** my foes! ...")
http://home.utah.edu/~mjm23/censor.wav

With all the copying, pasting, crossfading, etc. it took me roughly 90 seconds for each edit (or ≈3 minutes for the entire clip.) But it sure makes for a smooth edit.

Ultimately, of course, if the vocals aren't centered, this method will not work.
mr coolvibe

Post by mr coolvibe »

Wow Matyou, your sample sounds great, can barely tell there was even an edit there.

I tried the stereo center effect, tried both Remove center channel and remove vocal. The Remove Vocal sounds a little bit better. Does not sound nearly as smooth and clean as your sample, but the Crossfade effect in Goldwave is just a little too difficult and limited to use for me. You have to always have something copied, and it must be at least a certain length etc. Just takes too long to do edits etc, especially if you have several curse words to edit out of a song or songs.

Hopefully Goldwave will soon add a full or auto Crossfade feature to hide and make editing like this so much easier and much less time consuming. Thanks for the info!

In the meantime, Does anyone know where I can where I can get addtl Free DJ plugins or crossfade , and DJ scratching effects that are ready to go and compatible with Goldwave ? Would like to try these to use of editing or beat skipping in songs etc. Many Thanks for the help!!!!