Music library on a PC

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Vince

Music library on a PC

Post by Vince »

This is really off topic for Goldwave, but there are so many knowledgeable guys here I thought I'd give it a go.
I have what I thought was a simple requirement.
I want to load several hundred classical CDs on to a laptop or other device (FLAC or MP3) and arrange them so I can view the full collection in various classifications (Genres if you like - but mine not someone elses) - e.g. Symphonies, Opera, Instrumental etc. The scroll the list to a selected item, show its contents (e.g. movements of a symphony, items of an opera) then play that item by itself of to the end of the work. Gapless playback is ESSENTIAL for MP3s.
I've looked at the Brennan JB7 - no PC interface, no 'gapless' and the Cocktail Audio X10 - OK, nut I'd need a tablet PC too, and don't like the interface.
MediaPortal is almost undecipherable; M'soft Media Center is worse..
All software seems totally Pop orientated and is intent on its concept of 'songs'. artists, genres etc' . The writers of this software seem to have no idea of what a classical CD "looks" like where track numbers and names are all important. An opera of course could have 50+ tracks from 3 CDs and the sequential arrangement is key.

I'm prepared to buy a decent product, PC or standalone, but I'm afraid that everything I look at seems overspecified quite out of line with my needs. Free tryout would be important.

I would be deeply grateful for any ideas. AVforums has led me up a number of blind alleys. Not their fault - they just don't seen to grasp the simplicity of the idea.
Thank you
DougDbug

Re: Music library on a PC

Post by DougDbug »

Most classical music lovers seem to share the same frustrations. My classical collection is very limited, but I'll try to help a little...

You might look into foobar2000 (FREE!!!). I don't use it, but it's supposed to be very configurable and it has gapless support.

The main problem is that most (all?) music player/library software works from the Id3 Tags embedded in the audio file. As you say, the standard fields are pop-oriented.

FLAC uses Vorbis Tags which are a more flexable standard. But, I don't know how well player/library software integrates with custom tags.
arrange them so I can view the full collection in various classifications (Genres if you like - but mine not someone elses) - e.g. Symphonies, Opera, Instrumental etc.
That's no problem. The genre field is a text field and you can fill it with text of your choice. Your player/library software should be able to sort by that field.
An opera of course could have 50+ tracks from 3 CDs and the sequential arrangement is key.
That's no problem either. When you rip a CD, the tracks are automatically numbered for each CD separately. But, you can edit the track-number tag. Whenever I have a multi-CD album, I re-number the tracks as a single album.
Gapless playback is ESSENTIAL for MP3s.
Gaps are a characteristic of MP3s and skiping over them requires a work-around. So, the best solution is to avoid MP3. If I understand correctly, foobar2000 writes a special (non-standard) tag indicating the length of the gap, so it can skip-over it.

I use the SqrSoft Crossfader Plug-in (FREE!!!) for Winamp, and it has a Gap Killer option. (I don't use that feature, I use it for crossfading.) It works by skipping-over silent parts, which probably won't work with classical music where there may be an intentional pause. And, you might want a pause between movements or works.

If you want a tag editor, separate from your player/library software, MP3Tag (FREE!!!) is handy. (It works on other file formats too).
Vince

Re: Music library on a PC

Post by Vince »

Thank you for your reply, I've tried Foobar in my travails and its ripping is sort of OK. I actually managed to get a couple of operas into separate folders and the File names are fine. e.g.
2.05. Akt 2 - (Enzo) - Cielo e mar!.flac
is disc 2, track 5, title Cielo e mar.
And the tracks are neatly arranged in normal play sequence. But try a tool like MediaPortal - or even Foobar and its well nigh impossible to get a list of the folders which then expand to the correct tack list.
I just don't know what is in these guys' heads as they rearrange stuff with these impenetrable Tags.

I've now decided to give up on the 'project' to commit my CDs to a single device with a logical navigation system I could view and use via a TV, perhaps with a laptop. My desire to do this was largely health driven as I'm not as mobile as I was. Its going to be easer to rearrange the furniture!

By the way, you may find a little utility called Renamer from den4b.com is useful.

Thanks again for your comments.