General Programming Comments

GoldWave general discussions and community help
JackA

General Programming Comments

Post by JackA »

I enjoyed Goldwave since about 2002. Due to a HDD crash, I decided to try a more recent release (not your latest, but offered on you site). Sadly, it's so overwhelming with features that slow me down. Plus, for example, the Parametric Equalizer - used to love how everything maintained the last setting, now it doesn't. I could have the selection fade-in, fade-out, in seconds, now submenus prompt me what I wish to do. Offset feature used to automatically scan selection, now I have to tell it to. I'm all in favor of updates, but I feel you went a bit overboard. Still feel it's a great value and a fine audio editor.
JackA

Re: General Programming Comments

Post by JackA »

JackA wrote:I enjoyed Goldwave since about 2002. Due to a HDD crash, I decided to try a more recent release (not your latest, but offered on you site). Sadly, it's so overwhelming with features that slow me down. Plus, for example, the Parametric Equalizer - used to love how everything maintained the last setting, now it doesn't. I could have the selection fade-in, fade-out, in seconds, now submenus prompt me what I wish to do. Offset feature used to automatically scan selection, now I have to tell it to. I'm all in favor of updates, but I feel you went a bit overboard. Still feel it's a great value and a fine audio editor.
Oh, and then I go to Maximize Volume (or whatever) and I'm hit with a dozen options. I just want to change the RMS value. I'm still not sure what it does, if anything, if I don't select anything from the drop-down menu(s)? Full dynamic, half dynamic, etc., etc..

I'll grow used to your changes. I'm not sure what you did was to satisfy other users or internal decisions. I don't see any additions that will help me with quality sound, but maybe I'm wrong. Still feel your Dynamic boost, Lite, is excellent to help change CD sound to vinyl LP sound. Nice work on that! Received many compliments. If anything, I'd have it scan one or both tracks and correct the offset, automatically, afterwards. Not sure why anyone would want DC offset. I found, to scan each stereo track, individually, and correct the offset, rather than have it attempt to fix both tracks, simultaneously, because most apps can't do it correctly.

Signed,
Devoted
JackA

Post by JackA »

Oh, finally, a question! :-)

On your old version, it defaulted to two, a Left & Right Bar VU meter, side-by-side. I see I have the option, with two windows, vertically, to use a bar meter, but no Left & Right channel options? Can this be done? Can it also be changed to horizontal rather than vertical windows? Takes up a lot of real-estate.

Thank you!

John
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

JackA wrote:I enjoyed Goldwave since about 2002. Due to a HDD crash, I decided to try a more recent release (not your latest, but offered on you site). Sadly, it's so overwhelming with features that slow me down. Plus, for example, the Parametric Equalizer - used to love how everything maintained the last setting, now it doesn't. I could have the selection fade-in, fade-out, in seconds, now submenus prompt me what I wish to do.
Options | Window | Use left and right mouse button selection method

This is how you were probably familiar with using GoldWave since you said you had an old version available from the site (I assume you were using 4.26). This should also remove those submenus I believe you are referring to too.

JackA wrote:On your old version, it defaulted to two, a Left & Right Bar VU meter, side-by-side. I see I have the option, with two windows, vertically, to use a bar meter, but no Left & Right channel options? Can this be done? Can it also be changed to horizontal rather than vertical windows? Takes up a lot of real-estate.

Thank you!

John
Yes you can, at the menu bar select:

Windows | Horizontal Control
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Here are some more tips that may help migrating from v4 to v5:
- Select Update default effect settings after each use under Options | Window. However presets are recommended instead (you can change the "Default" preset).
- Use Effect | Filter | Auto Offset Removal to remove an offset
- Select Filter dc offset under Recording options (press F11, Record tab)
- Use Options | Keyboard to assign keys to commonly used functions

Chris
JackA

Post by JackA »

Sarge and GW, thank you VERY much, I appreciate the help! But I still miss the settings being saved for the Parametric Equalizer (and other controls). I could select a 5,10, even 30 band equalizer (now removed), and it with all settings would be saved, after altering. Now, every-time I open it, it defaults back to the way it wishes it to be. Any help here?

And, p.s. Nice work on the DC Offset! It DOES simultaneously correct both stereo tracks! Before, with the early version, I'd select each stereo track, individually, and would correct the offset!

Forget this question above, my fingers are moving faster than my eyes!!! :oops:
Thanks, Chris! You Made Me So Very Happy!That was a hit song! :lol:

Why I like the DC Offset feature, some CDs have an offset. I understand this is probably caused by an unbalance of electronics and/or grounding. This (CD) song (snippet) had a nasty offset at about 16 Hz., you could "see" the (volume) bar remaining constant!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/apples.mp3
My free advertising/credit for GW:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/credits.html

Best,
John
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You'll need to save Parametric Equalizer settings to a preset. Once you've enter in all the settings, enter a name in the Presets box, then choose the [+] button. The next time you bring up the Parametric Equalizer, select the preset from the list to retrieve all the settings. If you enter "Default" as the preset name and add it with [+], then those settings are loaded automatically whenever you display the effect.

Chris
JackA

Post by JackA »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:You'll need to save Parametric Equalizer settings to a preset. Once you've enter in all the settings, enter a name in the Presets box, then choose the [+] button. The next time you bring up the Parametric Equalizer, select the preset from the list to retrieve all the settings. If you enter "Default" as the preset name and add it with [+], then those settings are loaded automatically whenever you display the effect.

Chris
Chris, when I make my enhancements, I first use WinAmp's equalizer, real-time, as I guide to how I need to alter the tone in GW. I (ballpark) change the appropriate frequencies, in GW, as in WinAmp. I then listen to it in GW. If I like, all is well, but it sometimes takes several attempts. The old GW maintained all setting (w/o prompting), so if I just wanted to touch up the bass a bit (again), I didn't have to change ALL the frequencies again (from memory), even after an Undo. That feature meant so much to me! I appreciate your work-around, but it's a tad much.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you check the "Update default effect settings after each use" setting under Options | Window GoldWave automatically updates the default preset when you use the effect, similar to the way the old version worked. The new version has preview playback buttons so you can hear how the current settings sound without processing the effect or closing the effect window.

So instead of processing the effect, then undoing it, and processing it again until you get it right, you can adjust the setting while previewing it until it sounds good, then save the setting as a preset for future use. It's just a matter of getting into the habit of using preview and presets instead of using the old do, undo, trial-and-error way.

Chris
JackA

Post by JackA »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you check the "Update default effect settings after each use" setting under Options | Window GoldWave automatically updates the default preset when you use the effect, similar to the way the old version worked. The new version has preview playback buttons so you can hear how the current settings sound without processing the effect or closing the effect window.

So instead of processing the effect, then undoing it, and processing it again until you get it right, you can adjust the setting while previewing it until it sounds good, then save the setting as a preset for future use. It's just a matter of getting into the habit of using preview and presets instead of using the old do, undo, trial-and-error way.

Chris
Chris, thank you for your fine help. I'm even having difficulty finding these "Options" to alter. Not even sure we are on the same Version.

I also noticed on the "Control" window, if I change the Volume (slider), the VU meters (GW bars) change, too. I guess that is part of previewing, before actually applying the changes. I guess I just more used to changing whatever, and if I don't like the change, I just Undo it. In the oldest version I had, there was only one Undo level, so I had to be careful. Is it possible for GW to supply the, I guess, 2003 version, to license? I wouldn't hold GW responsible for how it executes in Windows XP, Home edition. [General programming comment, not just related to GW]. Some, such as GW and WinAmp, offer graphic equalizers, but the segregated frequencies are all over the place. I'd like to see that standardized, such as 30Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz, etc.; common frequencies. In other words, I just want to look at a bar VU meter and identify that particular frequency spectrum.

Jack
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

In GoldWave choose the "Options" menu, then choose "Window". In the "Miscellaneous" area there is a checkbox for "Update default effect settings after each use". Check that to have GoldWave save your effect settings each time.

The Volume fader in the Control window does not affect the file. If just changes the output volume to the playback device (and the visuals). The Spectrum Filter would give you the most control over the frequency spectrum, but it isn't as simple to use as the Equalizer.

Chris
JackA

Post by JackA »

Chris, any plans to add a Tempo change, and maintain pitch to GW?

I wanted to change the tempo of the opening drum portion here; make it a bit more believable as a studio intro, even though it uses (3) CD tracks!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/sharona.mp3

Thanks!
Gord

Post by Gord »

JackA wrote:any plans to add a Tempo change, and maintain pitch to GW?
Check out

Effect > Time Warp...

The "FFT algorithm" option will change the tempo without changing the pitch. For best quality, the "Oscillator synthesis" option is recommended.