BUG - Mono 'save as' defaults to stereo

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DougA

BUG - Mono 'save as' defaults to stereo

Post by DougA »

When I'm editing a mono wav file, and do either a 'Save As' or a 'Save Selection as' the default attributes is set to 'stereo' and not what the file currently is. Failure to catch and change this causes an unwanted and undesired format change to the file.
Doug
Gord

Re: BUG - Mono 'save as' defaults to stereo

Post by Gord »

While I don't agree that this is a "bug", it would be a nice feature if GoldWave's default "Save As..." format matched the number of channels in the existing file.

If you do most of your work with mono files you might consider changing the default format to mono via

Options > File Formats... > Default Save Format
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave tries to use mono attributes when possible for some file types, such as Wave, Apple, and a few others. For other file types, such as MP3, it is not obvious what mono attributes to use. In that case you have to select the attributes manually.

If you have used Options | File Formats to set the default save format, then those attributes are used regardless of the number of channels the current file contains.

Chris
DougA

Post by DougA »

Thanks Chris, however, my point i'm making is, by default, GW is making a format change that I'm not expecting nor desire. For example, if I edit a mono file and then click 'save' , by default, i expect the file to be saved in it's current format (ie: as it was opened) ... and it does. But, when I use 'save as' (or 'save selection as') to save my work with a new name, it changes the format to stereo.
Are you saying the Options | File Format setting is what's always selected, not the current setting of the file ?
Doug
DougA

Post by DougA »

Thanks Chris, however, my point i'm making is, by default, GW is making a format change that I'm not expecting nor desire. For example, if I edit a mono file and then click 'save' , by default, i expect the file to be saved in it's current format (ie: as it was opened) ... and it does. But, when I use 'save as' (or 'save selection as') to save my work with a new name, it changes the format to stereo.
Are you saying that the Options | File Format setting is what's always selected, not the current setting of the file ?
Doug
Gord

Post by Gord »

DougA wrote:For example, if I edit a mono file and then click 'save' , by default, i expect the file to be saved in it's current format (ie: as it was opened) ... and it does. But, when I use 'save as' (or 'save selection as') to save my work with a new name, it changes the format to stereo.
Are you saying that the Options | File Format setting is what's always selected, not the current setting of the file ?
In Options > File Formats... look at the settings on the "Default Save Format" tab. If you have the "Use this format for Save As, Save Selection As, and Copy To" option enabled then that setting will apparently override the "smart" handing that GoldWave attempts for file types Chris mentioned above.

I have that option disabled. I created two WAV files, one mono and one stereo, and Save As does respect the number of channels: that is, it won't force the new file to stereo by default. What file format are you using?
DougA

Re: BUG - Mono 'save as' defaults to stereo - resolved

Post by DougA »

Fantastic, that was it. An option switch doing what it was supposed to.
Once I turned that off, doing a save as on a mono file brought up the save as dialog with the attibutes set to what the file currently is (mono)

Perfect !

Thanks Gord, Thanks Chris
Doug
Oozoid

Post by Oozoid »

In my opinion, the Default Save Format option in v5.68 does not work correctly. Even if I leave the 'use this format for Save As...' switch unselected, the default 'save as' format is the same as the default 'save' setting; only the mode (mono/stereo) is set according to the 'new file' setting. I did not notice this behaviour in earlier versions.

I would like to be able to set the default save mode to WAV stereo and the default 'save as' mode to MPG mono, but I can find no way to do this.