compatibility and upgrade issue

GoldWave general discussions and community help
SlyDaCat

compatibility and upgrade issue

Post by SlyDaCat »

I have been a user of goldwave years back and always liked it to play with waves back in the IRC days and hapen to come across a folder named GoldWave on a cd and its version 3.22 and I'm not a real fan of updating programs cause I get lost and cant find my way in the programs so am lookin for an old copy of it but online alot of the links that have it are bad sites 'my WOT *web of trust addon* keeps warnin me to not go to them and so I dont want to go to them but I dont see it available at your site so tried to get newest n see if I could learn it and I extracted files and made a folder Media/GoldWave and moved files into it and ran the goldwave.exe n made a shortcut and sent to desktop and first time I ran it it instantly couldnt find files and asked if wanted it to 'download them or whatever and I said ok...well it showed it did and installed plugins and what have you and first time I ran it and instantly was shocked at difference 'up n down play area vs before it was slender thing on bottom of the main window and always moved off to right side but anyway I decided to remove so went to the programs n features in windows 7 and to my dismay you folks wasnt listed at all so couldnt the normal way anyway in the goldwave folder was a file like uninstal.exe or similar and so I clicked it assuming it would do
but it gave me an error and didnt do a thing ....since it installed plugins 'or whatever it did to my system' I know with computers it likely sent all kinds of crap to my registration 'paths of app etc and so hate to just delete the folder and not know what excess crap it added to my pc (just reinstalled a new hard drive and windows 7 few weeks ago)
so would like to have a clean system and always thought I could trust you folks in the past but it has been well a few years back and alot has seemed to have changed online....

anyway I just wanted to let you know of my misfortune ...I did end up installing the program and then it added itself to
the programs and features and then It was in there so I was able to uninstall it ;'officially anyway' just hope the previous
attempt didnt leave anything extra into my pc 'did install to the same path the second time around so be the same path

anyway are we just forced to update now or what? know I used it a couple years ago on like windows xp and worked fine
but have read many sites saying it wont run on windows 7 n some say it does but need set up sound systems first and all
of this technical stuff that was way over my head 'to complex for me to attempt myself anyway
Gord

Re: compatibility and upgrade issue

Post by Gord »

SlyDaCat wrote:anyway are we just forced to update now or what?
There are a lot of applications whose older versions won't run under modern versions of Windows, and v3.22 would be a VERY old version of GoldWave. In particular, very old 32-bit applications are often unable to run under 64-bit operating systems because of the way their executable files are structured. However, more current 32-bit applications (like GoldWave, as of v5.68) run just fine under 64-bit Windows.

I can't really comment on your initial attempt at setting up "GoldWave" except to say that you clearly didn't use the latest version of the GoldWave installer from the download page (otherwise it would have registered itself in Windows' "Programs and Features" control panel) and we don't know what that app may have downloaded after you launched it. Also, depending on where you got that software, it could have been malware that claimed to be GoldWave but really wasn't. In that case, your machine could now be severely compromised.
SlyDaCat

Post by SlyDaCat »

I downloaded the files from this site (as I always use main sources when possible) fact is ....
I honestly wondered about your legitimacy at this site cause it was the .ca vs .com ending.

I do not use the 64 bit version of windows 7 due to just the problems you covered and so its not
that issue and yes I did do an install without using installer (right clicked and opened archive etc)
inside it showed files like goldwave.exe and others and folders as if it was the programs folder...
the same sorta files I have seen for years when I popped thru folders and was in goldwave folder

so I made a folder for it and moved files there and clicked the goldwave.exe and "your program"
prompted me it needed something that was missing and proceeeded to install whatever it was

there was no addons with the installer since it came from this site (hrs before I left a comment)
the addons 'as you called them' actually came when I did not install it with the installer actually....

I did notice it say installing plugins and thought plugins ookkk ;know other apps like Photoshop
use them but this was goldwave what was it doing plugins for 'was my thoughts to be honest'
years back however I do recall going to your site 'or goldwave.com and downloadin stuff for
mp3 encoding and was able to make my own mp3 'first time ever in my life and it was neat
and so I seen this as progress that now the program was more then a wave player and editor

my question was askin if I could get a copy of the older version from you guys since you made it.....
errm I dont want to get infected by some idiots trying to find an old program and dont trust many site
thus why for years I used host files to block bad sites and in IE would add in restricted list of bad sites
and now I use an extention (WOT) for google chrome that warns me of bad sites 'before I go to them
so when I do a search on yahoo or google I can see 'these sites are owned by morons / cant be trusted'

but I came to a trusted and reliable source I thought "here' but rather than being answered directly...
if I can get that version 'yes I know its old but it worked fine for me and I'm content with it working
or being told 'no' it dont work with windows 7 directly you did hint around with many apps dont work
on newer systems etc and yes I'm very aware of this 'why I stayed with 32 bit cause before had got
pc it had the 64 bit installed and alot I tried to use told me get 64 bit version bullarke....sad when
you are forced to not be able to use a program anymore you are content with and learned to love!!
+when you get told ;go get a 64 bit program that dont even freakin exist and you rely on using alot
and sudenly now you arent able to use your program any longer 'sorry I'm not fond of changes and
maybe its a form of OCD I'm not sure but I can tell you I am not alone here and everyone dont have
to use the newest and most recent version of all software to experience all the newest bugs in it..
with windows I tend to use old for a couple years or more after its been released and watch all else
moan and groan about how $#|+ it is and grin and smile cause I did not jump on that band wagon

I do understand as the mp3 ability that sometimes new can mean better and thus I may be in ways
limiting my abilities but It did what I needed it to do ...allowed me to edit waves and later mp3s

at one time I tried to upgrade to the v4 whatever of goldwave and it installed fine but when clicked
to run the program nothing opened up at all 'goldwave.exe ran for a few seconds and closed up itself
so in some ways I did try to 'get with it and had no luck at all with that so thus why stuck with the old
plug the fact as stated I'm not real into having to get newest cause things look foreign when changed
and I like to know where things are at and not have to 'go back to school' to learn some new damn app

I did download Audacity and it seems to have all the bells and whistles and stuff and its freeware even
but its not goldwave and I miss my program 'as I knew it and apparently will need to adjust to this now
Gord

Post by Gord »

SlyDaCat wrote:I downloaded the files from this site
Okay, that's good.
SlyDaCat wrote:I did do an install without using installer (right clicked and opened archive etc)
inside it showed files like goldwave.exe and others
[...]
so I made a folder for it and moved files there and clicked the goldwave.exe
As you discovered, that won't work for GoldWave. It also won't work for the overwhelming majority of applications available these days. Modern installer programs do a lot more than just unpack files into a folder.
SlyDaCat wrote:but I came to a trusted and reliable source I thought "here' but rather than being answered directly...
if I can get that version 'yes I know its old but it worked fine for me and I'm content with it working
or being told 'no' it dont work with windows 7 directly
I'll have to let Chris give the definitive answer, but I doubt it. (Note: I don't work for GoldWave.)
SlyDaCat

Post by SlyDaCat »

oops sorry didnt realize you was not an employee

I know with computers we cant hit pause and use the same forever
but however in my case with my medical condition it's alot harder
than would be for the majority of users to read manuals and stuff

I have diabeties and it really effects my eyes bigtime and strains
them alot when I have to read alot 'even when pc issues and such
I can get so stressed over trying to fix issues that I get tired fast
and I'm used to being able to 'go forever and fix anything around'
so easier to use the same and have lil fun (versus time working)

new pc's are more a mystery and frankly I miss DOS and the upper
management systems and special floppies to get that new game
to work right and the simplier times and making my own logos
for windows and they hard code more and more and thus now
it requires a program to do things that we could do ourselves
and thus we also need to trust others who may not be nice.

I still have a 5 1/4 floppy disk in the closet with Paint shop Pro 1.0
and my first pc so to speak was an Atari Aquarius and used a data
tape system to save all your work 'tis was no hard drives in it at all
it was exactly the same looking as old casette player but ran to sys
and it used a tv as monitor 'this was pre- atari 2600 game system'
later radio shacks came out with the tandy system and I bought it
and can recall as if yesterday getting a bios setup on floppy for it.

I do know alot of 'new' installer programs these days are rude so to
speak and assume all are idiots 'in my oppinion' and even windows
a step back to those who know how to do things 'more screens to
get to things we already would do one jump to 'old control panel'
and for me its often using old style windows 'until we cant and
they force us to change but when we cant use wild card renames
and do some of the things we could do before they arent 'better'

I like when given an option between a zip file 'just the files' or
an installer with the exe and always pick the zip process myself
many installers wont let you change path of install or even when
do they end up making a Mcafee folder off program files anyway
so are senseless to end up with 2 different locations for 1 thing

I have been able to for years use the same programs I bought and
sadly enuff many like you folks have the if you cant find email addy
you used 12 yrs ago we wanna charge you again for the same thing

I dunno about most but I know for me I always backed up *installers*
and folders of the programs themself as well and many like winAmp
and goldwave and paint shop pro for years I have been able to make
a new folder on a new pc 'or newly formatted hard drive and clicked
the executable and it worked ....some times havin to fix things yea
like updating new paths for plugins or changing path in the ini files
in windows for a few examples but 'they was doable' and now adays
its task manager running while installing crap and watching out for
the toolbars and search addons and stuff they all want to toss at ya

alot of the reasons are I customize most all apps that I use that I can..
like made my own skins/themes for yahoo messanger and for winamp
and with new versions 'they mess all up' an we cant use same themes
and I like how mine look and simply said dont want to fuss with new

do realize all the others with the latest new smart phone from a week
ago who buy 500 tenis shoes and need to have the newest everything
may all be suggesting new features and such and thus why 'changes'
but to me familiar is generally better/ I dont adjust to changes well

if a program wants to update why not have an updater built into them
like my microsoft essentuals and Malwareantibytes and many others..
I set them to do updates when I'm away from the network and dont
interfere with my routine...nearly all apple/adobe programs have it
quicktime does auto updates/java does/and a crapload of others so
its not as if all make you go and get the newest installer to use them
remove the old version and install a new one and have to change now
or else the program wont even work...I had a working program on cd
and move folder to new hard drive (of working app) and it dont work
this is the application itself no longer being any good and just silly...
but heck that's just me and not everyone I know ...so majority wins!

sorry to vent but new technology can frustrate the heck outta me lol
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The GoldWave download is self-installing, so after download you'd just run the download to install the program. That creates an uninstall entry under Programs as Features as well.

It sounds like you extracted the files from the download instead, so that's why there wasn't an uninstall entry.

The Control window (with the playback control) can be resized and moved around. There are a few other settings that would make the new version a bit closer to the old version as well, such as "Use left and right mouse button selection method" under Options | Window.

Version 4 is still available here. Be sure to run the download rather than extracting the files.

Chris
SlyDaCat

Post by SlyDaCat »

thanks alot for the reply
I shalll download it now
mcmusic1st

Post by mcmusic1st »

Oh my !!!!!!