Cursor won't move when Play activated

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GregGP

Cursor won't move when Play activated

Post by GregGP »

Hi

When I press the green Play icon, the line in the view window seems to move slightly, then the sound file doesn't play. The cursor doesn't move in the view window. Everything seems frozen.

I installed a new version of GW yesterday, then encountered this problem for the first time.
So I uninstalled that version and went back to the 5.16 I was using. But the problem now persists.

If that install/uninstall isn't a full cause of the problem maybe it's combined with Windows 7 32-bit which I very recently installed on the PC.
(So recently that I still can't get sound from the PC, even though all the drivers are apparently up-to-date.)

I can't tell if I'm dealing with one problem in various aspects, or more than one problem, as I try to get a sense of why the computer's not sending sound to the speakers, or/and why Goldwave isn't playing a .WAV file that it's played before.

I've checked settings to see if GW had been set to play a two-second bit and then stop, or something like that, but I haven't found any settings that I could adjust that way.

(My motherboard's sound card drivers have been deactivated, I'm trying to use a Prodigy 7.1 HiFi PCI card. Its drivers are up-to-date, but I'm probably going to switch back to the motherboard's soundcard to simplify the situation as I try to isolate problems.)

What are your thoughts?

ggp
Gord

Re: Cursor won't move when Play activated

Post by Gord »

The first thing you need to do is get the machine in a state where it can play some sound through the speakers, either via Windows Media Player or from one of the test buttons in Windows' "Sound" control panel. Once that is achieved, if the problem with GoldWave persists then we can investigate that further.

If your Windows 7 install was an upgrade over top of a previous version of Windows then you could try removing the Prodigy drivers and re-installing them from a fresh copy here. Or, as you said, you could try reverting to the built-in motherboard audio to see if it behaves differently.
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Thanks for encouraging me in that direction, Gord.
The problem has been solved using these main steps:

1)
Thoroughly removed Goldwave from the system, then installed the latest stable release, compatible with MS Windows 7.

2)
Changes made through Windows 7 Control Panel - Hardware & Sounds - Sound Device Manager:
a)
Disabled the plug-in sound card and re-enabled the motherboard's sound card.
b)
I'd mistakenly chosen Realtek Digital Output(RCA) for output.
The correct setting is Realtek Speakers
Input is Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio)

3)
Changes made through Realtek HD Audio Manager,
by clicking on the yellow folder icon in top right window that says "Analog":
- I disabled "front panel jack detection" so that I could send sound through the Green output jack.

4)
Goldwave played properly, and there was sound, after those changes were made.

(If the sound's a little weird, 'environment' settings in Realtek's Audio Manager might be the culprit. Those 'bathroom' or 'coliseum' settings, etc. making effects like echoes)

Thanks
GP
Electroliner

Post by Electroliner »

I just installed GW 5.68 yesterday on a Dell Inspiron 620 with Windows 7. It seemed to work fine. Today when I turned on the computer Windows 7 would NOT start. Even the "Repair Computer" option and rebooting from a back up CD failed.
Anyone else out there experience this problem?

Russ
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Not that I'm aware of. GoldWave doesn't change any system settings or install any drivers, so it wouldn't affect how the computer runs.

Chris