Change Recording Duration while Recording

GoldWave general discussions and community help
steveab

Change Recording Duration while Recording

Post by steveab »

On several occasions I have found I needed to extend the recording duration while in the process of recording. I tried changing the Control Property for "Use New File Duration" but this did not affect the length of recording. Is there a way to make this change while recording?
Thank you, Steve
Gord

Re: Change Recording Duration while Recording

Post by Gord »

If you go into Options > Control Properties, select the "Record" tab and change the "Record mode" to "Unbounded" then your recording will continue if it exceeds the length of the current file. Would that suffice?
steveab

Post by steveab »

Thank you Gord. Is this a change that would take effect if I change it to unbounded during the recording and if so will this allow me to set a revised duration so I can walk away or will it record until I stop it or a maximum duration of some amount is reached? Sorry if my question is not well phrased.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You'll have to select unbounded before you start recording. Then you'll have to stop it manually. I always use unbounded.

I'm not sure what happens when you run out of disc space, but that could bad if you forget to stop it or you're not around to stop it.... Unless you have a 2nd hard disc, you won't have anywhere to save your "permanent" file with GoldWave's temporary file filling-up your hard drive.
steveab

Post by steveab »

Thank you Doug,
It sounds like I am out of luck in the event I have a recording in progress when I discover the broadcast will be longer than previously scheduled. Unfortunate since this does occur with some regularity.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If it happens with some regularity, then keeping the Unbounded recording setting on would be the best approach. It's not something you have to do each time you start recording. Once it is on, it stays on.

Chris
steveab

Post by steveab »

The downside is that I am frequently not present for these weekly recordings and it sounds like unbounded would not stop the recording at the typical hour length. If I am wrong about this please let me know. Thanks
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you need to use Bounded recording so that recording stops automatically, then you could create a new file that is more than long enough for the broadcast going overtime (say 2 hours instead of 1), then trim the rest later (AutoTrim).

If the audio signal goes silent at the end of the broadcast, then the "Level activated" recording feature can be used to pause recording when the input audio ends to minimize the amount of silence you need to trim later.

Chris
steveab

Post by steveab »

Chris, Your suggestion is probably the best way to go and I appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for your feedback. Steve