How to check which Lame version my Goldwave 5.58 uses?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
lesz.reg

How to check which Lame version my Goldwave 5.58 uses?

Post by lesz.reg »

Hi!
How can I check which Lame version is used by Goldwave?
I use GW v5.58.
I read somewhere that it is the best to use Lame encoder while ripping CDs to mp3, and that it should be in GW's folder in "Program files". But there is no "lame_enc.dll" there or anywhere else.
Does it mean that my GW uses "FhG" encoder from Windows?
(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language!)
DougDbug

Re: How to check which Lame version my Goldwave 5.58 uses?

Post by DougDbug »

LAME is supposed to install automatically...

There is some information in the GoldWave FAQ about how to download and install it manually.

When I Save-As and choose MPEG Audio (*.MP3), and click on the Attributes drop-down arrow, I see options like:
Layer-3 (LAME), 44100Hz, 128kbps, stereo. (When I click on blue "Attributes:", I don't see "LAME", but I assume I'm setting-up the LAME options.)

Do you see anything that says "LAME" when you click the drop-down arrow?

On my computer, I have several copies of lame_enc.dll, and I don't know which one GoldWave is using. None of them are in the GoldWave folder or the Windows System folder. I think the default location for GoldWave's automatic installation depends on your version of Windows. In my case, maybe LAME was already installed and GoldWave just picked the 1st one it found???
How can I check which Lame version is used by Goldwave?
I'm not sure what version of LAME GoldWave is currently using. The version is not too important (as long as it is using LAME) because it's been a few years since there were any LAME changes that affect sound quality. (There is a Change log on the official LAME website.)

Since the filename "lame_enc.dll" doesn't give you the version, whenever I download LAME manually I make a folder-name that includes the version. (That doesn't help when it's installed automatically with an application.)
But there is no "lame_enc.dll" there or anywhere else.
I wonder if somehow your computer is set-up to hide DLL files?
If you search for *.DLL, do you find lots of DLL files?
(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language!)
Don't be so paranoid!!! I don't see anything wrong with your written English. (Except, we usually capitalize the name of a language). :D
Gord

Post by Gord »

I had a look around this machine (32-bit Vista with a clean install of v5.68) and I'm starting to wonder if things may have changed w.r.t. MP3 encoding. My understanding was that GoldWave used standard Windows "stuff" for DEcoding MP3's but it needed to use LAME for ENcoding. However, ...

I definitely can save a WAV file as MP3, yet there are no files on my C: drive with "lame" in their name, and there's no mention of "lame" in my registry, either. I do notice that when I choose "MP3" as the Save File format then if I click the "Attributes" drop-down I see a lot of "Layer-3 (ACM) ..." entries followed by a lot more "Layer-3 (LAME) ..." choices, and that seems to match the "WhatsNew.txt" item for v5.68 that says:

"Changed attributes listing for MP3 to show ACM attributes first if LAME is not installed."

I've (apparently) always just chosen one of the "ACM" attribute settings because they were the default.

So, maybe LAME is not required in all cases any more. Perhaps when Chris has a moment he might clarify.
lesz.reg

Post by lesz.reg »

When I Save-As and choose MPEG Audio (*.MP3), and click on the Attributes drop-down arrow, I see options like:
Layer-3 (LAME), 44100Hz, 128kbps, stereo.
I see option "MPEG Audio (.mp3)", but there is only just "Layer-3 44100Hz...", not "Layer-3 (LAME)...".
Do you see anything that says "LAME" when you click the drop-down arrow?
No!
There are only options "Layer-3..." with different frequencies and bitrates, and "Layer-3 ACM...".
I'm not sure what version of LAME GoldWave is currently using. The version is not too important.
I agree. Lame 3.97 or Lame 3.99.5 or Lame whatever else, they are all good.
But I read that "FhG" mp3 encoder in Windows, that is used by Windows Media Player to rip CDs, is not as good as Lame.
I rip CDs using GoldWave, and I hope it doesn't use the FhG!
There is "lame_enc.dll" on my computer - it is in K-Lite Codec Pack folder in Program Files, it was installed with K-Lite codecs... I know what to do now to use it, so thank you for your help!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave default to the ACM MP3 encoder if LAME isn't installed, otherwise LAME is used by default. You'd have to select "LAME" attributes to force GoldWave to install the LAME encoder if needed. GoldWave currently installs 3.98.4. You can open an MP3 file in Notepad to see what version is being used internally.

Chris