Sound bite presets (laughter, Applause) to use while REC ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
John Phoenix

Sound bite presets (laughter, Applause) to use while REC ?

Post by John Phoenix »

I'm looking for software that works on windows 8 that will allow me to have a collection of preset sound bites that i can use during a live recording. For example, while recording in real time, i would reach over and hit the Laughter preset button, and the laughter clip will immediately be inserted into the recording.

Can Gold Wave do this?

If not.. can anyone suggest software that will?

I know I can always edit clips into the audio track i'm working on but this is No Good - this will be used for therapy for handicapped kids. They can't do the hard editing like i can.. this will give them another way besides voice to be able to contribute to the project. We plan to use a PC laptop and have two sets of headphones with mics hooked up using Y splitters on the jacks.

Looking forward to your answers.. thank you.
DougDbug

Re: Sound bite presets (laughter, Applause) to use while REC

Post by DougDbug »

GoldWave is an audio file editor with recording capability. It doesn't do any editing/processing in real-time. In general, you can't mix while recording (The Windows recording mixer, isnt a true-mixer as you can only select one input at a time.)

But with some soundcards/drivers there is a work-around... Windows does have a playback mixer, and if your soundcard/driver supports Stereo Mix, or What-U-Hear, you can record ALL of the sounds going to your speakers/headphones, and you can use another application (such as Windows Media Player) to generate the sound effects.

The GoldWave FAQ has more information including another work-around using cables looping-back to line-in (if you have a desktop computer with a regular soundcard with line-in).

Choosing between sound effects on-the-fly might be a little tricky.... Maybe you can find another application to do that... Maybe a MIDI application, or maybe open another instance of GoldWave to handle that???
John Phoenix

Re: Sound bite presets (laughter, Applause) to use while REC

Post by John Phoenix »

Thanks for the info Doug. I'll try out your first suggestion and see how far i get. I did find one piece of software that does do exactly what i need - it has preset sound clips you can insert into the recording in real time - called WildVoice, Trouble is it only works in XP which i dont have. I cant even get my headphone mic working in my windows XP mode or I'd use that.

Again, thanks for the info.
Gord

Re: "Stereo Mix", etc.

Post by Gord »

Bear in mind that the most recent versions of GoldWave support software loopback devices (see here for details).