Restore settings from backup

GoldWave general discussions and community help
chrisjj

Restore settings from backup

Post by chrisjj »

What's the official method of copying the GW settings from a backup of one PC to a new PC?

EDIT:
I did this by
1) mounting the backup as a drive
2) using the Windows Registry Recovery program to convert C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\ntuser.dat to a .reg
3) Using TextPad to remove all but the header line and the branch HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Goldwave/Goldwave
4) launching the .reg to add those settings to the registry.

I'm hoping there is a better way.

Thanks.

PS I may switch to using a portable install, so that the settings are stored in their own file, to avoid this need next time. Though I see from the manual that this will not preserve the settings of some plug-ins. EDIT: And if settings are required to be per-user, this install will have to be located in %USERPROFILE%.
Last edited by chrisjj on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gord

Re: Restore settings from backup

Post by Gord »

I believe that the "official" way is to run GoldWave Setup (Start > All Programs > GoldWave > GoldWave Setup) and then use the "Backup Settings..." and "Restore Settings..." buttons.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Gord wrote: use the "Backup Settings..."
That would work on the PC itself, but as far as I can see does not work on a backup of the old PC.

In my case the old PC itself is defunct.

Thanks anyway for the thought.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Since the settings are stored in the registry; if the PC itself is defunct, then you have to restore them from the registry. That's the only way I can think of.

But you don't need the *entire* registry, just HKCR/Software/Goldwave/Goldwave
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

DewDude420 wrote:Since the settings are stored in the registry;
... and in the backup teherof.
DewDude420 wrote:But you don't need the *entire* registry, just HKCR/Software/Goldwave/Goldwave
Thanks. I did edit out the rest but omitted that from the account. Now remedied.