On the Death of Outdated Modals...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DougDbug

Re: On the Death of Outdated Modals...

Post by DougDbug »

This is mainly a user-to-user forum, and Chris (GoldWave's developer) doesn't seem to participate here everyday.

But, you can contact Chris directly using the web form on this page.

P.S.
:D Something funny happened with the server time, and my answer came before the question! :D
Kilmatead

On the Death of Outdated Modals...

Post by Kilmatead »

Any chance of implementing the "new style" IFileDialog::GetFolder modal to replace the ergonomically unfriendly (and horribly legacy) FindFolder dialog? There's really no reason to keep using the old modal except for those who choose to stay with XP - and, to be fair, keeping it for backward compatibility is easy enough without making everyone else suffer.

Considering that of all applications, GW does prompt for folder locations rather often... it might as well be as pain-free an experience as possible. :wink:
Kilmatead

Post by Kilmatead »

DougDbug wrote:This is mainly a user-to-user forum...
I'm aware of that, but this isn't a developer question per se (all appearances to the contrary :wink:) - many users (and dev's) simply aren't aware that there is a superior FindFolder dialog built into the Windows API (since Vista, as far as I know), and so just take it for granted that they have no choice but to be stuck with the old one in any given piece of software they use. Since GW stands out in my daily grind as a programme badly in need of this dialog-update, it's not unreasonable to suggest it publicly, as it is something which effects all users, and not a bespoke request to update an obscure plugin.

That said, I know how comforting it is that technical software users stick to their milieu, so next time I'll try to weave in a strand about a-periodic wave amplitude modulating or something, "just to fit in". :D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave v6 will require Window 7 or later, so the old dialogs will be replaced in that version.

Chris