Mix / Join / Merge Sound files to another Sound File

GoldWave general discussions and community help
thudo

Mix / Join / Merge Sound files to another Sound File

Post by thudo »

I was able to get a batch process to work where I select a large amount of wav files, and batch process them to add a custom wav file at each start and another custom wav file at the end of that large batch list and it works great.

Now for the next challenge for you all:

How do I mix / join / merge a single wav file to a set of changing length wav files?

Right now I have the following in GoldWave set in the Batch Processor:

Code: Select all

Set Marker/Selection  [0.0%] - [0]
Copy  <link to my single wav to add to the background of all the target wavs>
Mix -10.050dB
Set Marker/Selection  [100.0%] - [100.0%]
Problem is when I run this while it adds the background perfectly to all the wavs in the batch it keeps on going based on the main wav being, say, 12 sec and all the recording have variable lengths.

I tried to add a trim at the end but no clue how to implement it logically so it would cut off each track at the end of each wav file being batched against that single one being used to add the background.

Any ideas everyone?
thudo

Re: Mix / Join / Merge Sound files to another Sound File

Post by thudo »

Noone yet?

I came a little closer changing the Set Marker and Cut at the end as follows:

Code: Select all

Set Marker/Selection [35.0%] - [100.0%]
Cut
However, because all the samples being applied to this single other sample to mix/merge/join in the background have variable lengths that marker between 35-100% does not cut correctly as GoldWave is still applying it to the single background sample rather than all the different length samples so it crops it randomly. :(

Very frustrating and considering adding background mixes should be a rudimentary function.. grrr... :x
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Thudo, I've done things like this before many times and could probably help.... but I don't understand your description of the problem. Could you provide a clearer description of what what you want v. what you get?
thudo

Post by thudo »

Thank you kindly..

1) I have, say, 100 wav speech files of varying time lengths
2) I have a single 20 second long sound effect for use of adding it as a background noise.
3) I want to apply #2 as a background to all of #1 BUT ensure that the final result is that the same length is that of the origial wav speech files of #1 and NOT of #2 (which it is currently and seems to be a serious issue of all high-end sound editors these days as I have tried all of them).

Really appreciate your help! This would assist me and my team considerably for future batch processors of this particular workflow.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

thudo wrote:I want to apply #2 as a background to all of #1
What distribution of the shorter #1 over the longer #2 do you want?
thudo

Post by thudo »

We need all final outputs to be cropped so they fit the original lengths of all the #1s (all the varying length speech dialogue) but all sound editors seem to want to insist on outputting lengths for #2 (the background fx) and forcing you to do it manually which is absurd in 2014. :?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

thudo wrote:We need all final outputs to be cropped so they fit the original lengths of all the #1s
OK...

And what distribution of the shorter #2 over the longer #1 do you want?
thudo

Post by thudo »

Distribution as in output? All time lengths must be that of #1 which are all the variable length speech files.

Ok for example..

Lets say one speech file in #1 says "We come in the Name of the Emperor, scum!" (about 5 seconds in length) and that single #2 background file is basically a 20 second long background sound effect. When I try to batch mix / join / merge #2 over #1 (or #1 into #2) it does it fine BUT it always keeps the length of #2 (the 20 second long background sound effect). It must keep the length after the mixing as it was in #1. I can easily do this manually but for 100s of wav files? Not sustainable..
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

For that case, swap the operands. Mix #1 (short speech) in to #2 (long background). This leaves #1 region selected. Then Trim.

However, I was asking about the trickier case:
And what distribution of the shorter #2 over the longer #1 do you want?
Perhaps your sure this never occurs. Otherwise, I suggest you first extend #2 (background) sufficiently e.g. by repeating it.
thudo

Post by thudo »

I'll need to tell me in Goldwave batch processor scripting format/language as you have recommended as for what you have just told me sounds exactly as I had it in the posted code in the first post.

Remember..

#1 - 100s of speech voices of varying length
#2 - a single 20 second long background sound effect

Batch workflow needed = Mix / Join / Merge all the #1s into the single #2 having the resulting output of #3 which are the all the #1s of their own unique lengths but mixed with the single FX file #2.

This is my great challenge to overcome.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

thudo wrote:for what you have just told me sounds exactly as I had it in the posted code in the first post.
It is not. As I said, swap the operands. Get the variable operand #1 on the clipboard and the fixed operand in the sound buffer, then Mix. Do the swap by having both in the sound buffer temporarily, taking advantage of the fact you can cut them apart using the fixed length of the #2. Not trivial, but doable.
thudo

Post by thudo »

Can you post the code please (as I posted the actual example above in my first post) as where is the option to copy from the clipboard in the batch processor logic (copy Selection option)? You can only copy from an actual file in a path. Remember, this is all about the automation logic in Goldwave so reduce the laborious drudgery associated with manual workflow. ;)
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

thudo wrote:Can you post the code please (as I posted the actual example above in my first post)
Sorry, I don't have the code to hand nor the time to write it at this moment.
thudo wrote:as where is the option to copy from the clipboard in the batch processor logic (copy Selection option)?
http://i.imgur.com/GdgHhLg.png
thudo wrote:You can only copy from an actual file in a path.
I think that's incorrect.
thudo

Post by thudo »

So how does Copy Selection (Clipboard) differ from the way I am currently doing it now by selecting the actual file?

How do I swap the operands as you said considering #1 (all the speech files to add the background too) are added before the logic is introduced via another tab as this is how the batch processor in Goldwave works. You cannot store 100s of different wav files in the sound buffer except for one -- thats how the clipboard works. This is where I can getting hung up in is how the batch logic will take each of #1, hold it, grab #2, mix with #1, then save both as same length as #1 by trim/crop, move on to next one.

Also keep in mind this will be a script everyone will use for all time in Goldwave so once we have it solid it will be for all time for all forumers for use as well as considering I have tried all the other top sound editors (WavePad, Audition, Sound Forge, etc) and they don't have this workflow automated also. Once we figure this out, it will be yet another batch script for the ages.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

thudo wrote:So how does Copy Selection (Clipboard) differ from the way I am currently doing it now by selecting the actual file?
The actual file is fixed for the duration of the process. The clipboard is not.

thudo wrote:How do I swap the operands as you said considering #1 (all the speech files to add the background too) are added before the logic is introduced via another tab as this is how the batch processor in Goldwave works. You cannot store 100s of different wav files in the sound buffer except for one
As I said: Do the swap by having both in the sound buffer temporarily.

One after the other.