Hot to change interface back?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
iMiKE

Hot to change interface back?

Post by iMiKE »

Hello!
6.09 interface is weird - big plastic buttons.
Hot to change interface back to 5.xx versions? Hot to make toolbar buttons smaller?
donrandall

Re: Hot to change interface back?

Post by donrandall »

It took me a little while to get used to the new look. I was comfortable with the earlier version... and I don't particularly accept change well. But, I decided to abandon the old version entirely, instead of going back to it instead of adjusting to the new.

As a result, I've become comfortable with the new "face" of Goldwave -- and I like it!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Sorry iMiKE, but there is no way to change the size of the toolbar buttons images. With displays resolutions getting much higher (4K may be standard in the not so distant future) and touch screens becoming common, bigger buttons are needed. You can customize the toolbar to have only the buttons you use the most and remove captions from the main toolbar.
mh

Post by mh »

To be honest I haven't upgraded to 6 yet for this reason. I do a lot of of work on a 1366x768 laptop screen and it's ... difficult.

Even a "half size" option in a future release would go a long way.
Irvin Cee

Post by Irvin Cee »

You can remove the captions from the main toolbar in options>toolbar.
This will make the huge toolbar much smaller and with smaller icons like the other toolbars.
■Audio: http://soundcloud.com/irvincee
■Faceb.: http://www.facebook.com/irvincee
mh

Post by mh »

The main toolbar is a lesser problem than the controls toolbar (and I normally switch off the effects toolbar and use the menus instead). I'm well-enough used to the MS Office ribbon interface that a certain amount of on-screen real-estate in exchange for a more accessible UI is an acceptable tradeoff. That should also emphasise that this isn't about "it's new and different therefore it sucks".

The problem is not horizontal real-estate, it's vertical real-estate: disabling unused buttons is a non-solution. On a lower resolution monitor with main (even without captions) and controls visible, it just really eats into available space for actual productive wave editing. 1366x768 is a very common resolution for notebooks, and I (and I'm sure others) bring one such around with me a lot. Turn on effects as well and it's one quarter of your vertical real-estate gone.

The only workable solution appears to be to switch off the main toolbar too, but in an ideal world it would be great if GoldWave recognised that you're not always working on a higher-resolution touch UI and adapted accordingly.

I am of course totally aware that "this would be a really cool thing to do and it would only take you 5 minutes" never translates into what it claims to be in terms of developer time. At least some recognition that this is an issue on many hardware configurations and an undertaking to look into addressing it (e.g by half-size buttons; I'm sure there are other options) would be nice.