No Sound Some Files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
NonWally

No Sound Some Files

Post by NonWally »

Goldwave is working and has done so for many years.

I have some Voice Recorder files that seem to play in Media Player, but cannot in Goldwave.

Some are quite large and I need to skip to where there is evidently some foreground sound. Hence the need to play these in Goldwave.

I have tried the hints in Support, without success.

I tried Maximise volume to see if an edit worked. Nope.
Also tried paste to new file.

It appears manual file conversion works. I didn't try Batch processing.

But would still like to know why a VR sound file does not play.

File: mp3
Channels: Mono.

Any other hints.

Thanks
DougDbug

Re: No Sound Some Files

Post by DougDbug »

I have some Voice Recorder files that seem to play in Media Player, but cannot in Goldwave.

File: mp3
What's a "VR" file? It is MP3, or is it some other format that you're trying to convert to MP3?

Do you get an error, or do you get a silent file? If you get a silent file, does GoldWave show you the correct playing-time?
But would still like to know why a VR sound file does not play.
There are some formats that GoldWave doesn't support, but it can open MP3 and it usually can open anything WMP can play. (You need to install LAME if you want to save-as MP3.)
It appears manual file conversion works. I didn't try Batch processing.
Hmmmm... It's hard to believe GoldWave can convert it but can't play it...
Some are quite large and I need to skip to where there is evidently some foreground sound.
What's the file size, and what's the playing time?

...As a brute-force solution, you could play the file in Windows Media Player and record with GoldWave. But, there's probably a better solution.
NonWally

Post by NonWally »

> What's a "VR" file? It is MP3, or is it some other format that you're trying to convert to MP3?

VR = Voice Recorder. It is configured to produce .mp3 files. Mono, as only 1 channel comes up in Goldwave.

> Do you get an error, or do you get a silent file? If you get a silent file, does GoldWave show you the correct playing-time?

No errors. The file displays as a normal .mp3 or any other formatted file would in Goldwave. Play it, and the bars go up and down to mach the frequencies not being heard. Just think of a normal file playing with your speakers turned off.

>There are some formats that GoldWave doesn't support, but it can open MP3 and it usually can open anything WMP can play. (You need to install LAME if you want to save-as MP3.)

I just upgraded Goldwave, and it seems to save-as ok in mp3, so either Lame is no longer needed or the old one is still ok. I have been a registered user of Goldwave for more than 10 years.

>>It appears manual file conversion works. I didn't try Batch processing.
>Hmmmm... It's hard to believe GoldWave can convert it but can't play it...

I'm very happy to send a small one to Chris for analysis. I think these are the files from when my VR accidentally switched on. Might as well listen to them, just in case.

>What's the file size, and what's the playing time?

18 minutes I think. There are a few of them.

>...As a brute-force solution, you could play the file in Windows Media Player and record with GoldWave. But, there's probably a better solution.

No Batch processing might be the go. Manual save-as seems to work (see below for latest attempts in this area). Last night (Sydney time), Goldwave changed my output speakers to a digital output that is not connected, so I had to rerun all tests.

So:

No Effect:
* Modifying the file through an effect, eg max volume / doppler / dynamics / echo.
* Copy + Paste new.
* SaveAs to mono mp3 format.

Playable:
* SaveAs to stereo mp3 format.

Untried:
Batch processing, but if manual SaveAs works, then careful selection of BP attributes should work.

If Chris wants a copy of a small file for analysis then I'm happy to send it.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If only mono files are affected, then it may be a driver issue playing mono files. If you have a surround sound compatible sound card, mono audio may go to the center speaker. If you have only stereo speakers or headphones, then no audio will be heard because a center speaker would have to be connected.