Recording And Unused Channels

GoldWave general discussions and community help
NonWally

Recording And Unused Channels

Post by NonWally »

When I record, I see 4 other channels I am not recording in (C, LFE, SL & SR). I cannot find where to drop the channels back to L (FR) & R (FR). Just Where is this option hidden? Using Goldwave 6.28.

Thanks.
DougDbug

Re: Recording And Unused Channels

Post by DougDbug »

I'm on an older version of GoldWave that only does mono & stereo at the moment (a 32-bit machine) but when you create a new (blank/silent) file, there should be options for the number of channels, sample rate, and length.
NonWally

Post by NonWally »

When you hit the record button ("Creates new file and starts recording") the number of channels is not an option. Perhaps Chris needs to redesign that dialog box. Preferably it would remember your last settings. Or include it in Options somewhere.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Go to "create new file" (ctrl+n) and the the window which opens will ask you how long you want the file to be, how many channels you require and the sample rate. Click OK. You can save this a preset or ask the program to update your last settings. Easy, yes :D
NonWally

Post by NonWally »

Using New does not change the way the quick record (red button) works - that still defaults to 5 channels. That is the button I am chasing the configuration of. Yes the other record button will record in the new file, as you outlined, but the BIG danger is, the active sound window is used for recording. And the danger is you overwrite an existing sound file. Be careless when you are asked to save and you lose it.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

UMMM - I just tried that here and the record window came up with two channels showing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact thaI I most always select two channel for a new window using "file-new"? BTW. I have never used the instant record option - you've got me thinking now :?
NonWally

Post by NonWally »

Well, I gave it another go. Did a New and used my defaulted preset. Recorded something. Even saved it. Closed file. Then hit the instant record button. Same 5 channels, but only recording on 2. Goldwave is detecting what the system has and not what is being used.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

OK - I see what you are doing now, didn't realise you had a 5 ch sound card, I only have a 2 channel one. I think you are right in asking for a change in Goldwave presets. Perhaps you might try opening a really long new 2 channel empty wavefile and use your own custom keyboard presets to start recording, pause recording and stop. I use the "B" key to pause play (or record). Its easy to find but I still use ctrl+F8 and F9 to start and stop recording. Put cue points between each recorded item. You could try level activated record. I used this function a few times and you can ask it to put in time stamps as well. Hope this helps, have a good day.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

An upcoming update for GoldWave will have a setting to either use the current new file attributes or the device attributes when using the Record New button. For now you'll need to create a new file and use the Record Selection button instead.
NonWally

Post by NonWally »

Thanks Chris.