ia sample rate question related to audio card (internal)?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: ia sample rate question related to audio card (internal)

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

When using "Shared" quality mode, the sampling rate is determined by Windows. GoldWave resamples the sound file to match that rate. With some sound cards you can use the Windows Sound settings to change the shared sampling rate (select the Device, choose Properties, choose Advanced tab).
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:When using "Shared" quality mode, the sampling rate is determined by Windows. GoldWave resamples the sound file to match that rate. With some sound cards you can use the Windows Sound settings to change the shared sampling rate (select the Device, choose Properties, choose Advanced tab).
hi
if i want a wasapi exclusive event setting should be these ?
it's enough to select 24 or ieee32 for float 32 right?

thanks Chriss and happy new year

Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Sara wrote: if i want a wasapi exclusive event setting should be these ?
As I said earlier in the thread, picking anything other than "Shared" will get you WASAPI Exclusive Event should your system be configured for it. Typically, by default, Windows allows Exclusive mode on devices.

Picking a selected bit-depth just tells Goldwave what bit-depth to output as an exclusive event; the sample rate being dependant on the file. As you can see in my screenshot, I have my main device set to IEEE 32-bit and my recording device set to 16-bits. This means both are being used as exclusive devices.

The difference between 24-bit and 32-bit is confusing; mostly because I am unsure what the actual status of IEEE32 float is in a DAC. I've never heard of a DAC actually supporting floating point internally...this is because 32-bit float is capable of a dynamic range far beyond what integer audio is. I suspect there is some conversion in the DAC, but you're still outputting in exclusive and bypassing Windows. The sound quality hit between 32-bit float output and 24-bit integer output is probably trivial. I have had DACs that will accept 32-bit float input...but they clip the output very easily due to internal conversions...and that's even when the audio doesn't approach clip.

YMMV. If the 32-bit option works and sounds fine, then you're going to accomplish what you wanted to do. If you find you're getting problems with the audio, like clipping, and you're not near clip level; then drop to 24-bit output and see if that solves it. That doesn't indicate a problem with Goldwave or your sound card.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DewDude420 wrote:
Sara wrote: Picking a selected bit-depth just tells Goldwave what bit-depth to output as an exclusive event; the sample rate being dependant on the file. As you can see in my screenshot, I have my main device set to IEEE 32-bit and my recording device set to 16-bits. This means both are being used as exclusive devices.

The difference between 24-bit and 32-bit is confusing; mostly because I am unsure what the actual status of IEEE32 float is in a DAC. I've never heard of a DAC actually supporting floating point internally...this is because 32-bit float is capable of a dynamic range far beyond what integer audio is. I suspect there is some conversion in the DAC, but you're still outputting in exclusive and bypassing Windows. The sound quality hit between 32-bit float output and 24-bit integer output is probably trivial. I have had DACs that will accept 32-bit float input...but they clip the output very easily due to internal conversions...and that's even when the audio doesn't approach clip.

YMMV. If the 32-bit option works and sounds fine, then you're going to accomplish what you wanted to do. If you find you're getting problems with the audio, like clipping, and you're not near clip level; then drop to 24-bit output and see if that solves it. That doesn't indicate a problem with Goldwave or your sound card.
hi
thanks you so much , instead IEEE 32-bit did confuse me when i wanted to select between 24 and IEEE 32-bit
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

DewDude420 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 pm
Sara wrote: if i want a wasapi exclusive event setting should be these ?
As I said earlier in the thread, picking anything other than "Shared" will get you WASAPI Exclusive Event should your system be configured for it. Typically, by default, Windows allows Exclusive mode on devices.

Picking a selected bit-depth just tells Goldwave what bit-depth to output as an exclusive event; the sample rate being dependant on the file. As you can see in my screenshot, I have my main device set to IEEE 32-bit and my recording device set to 16-bits. This means both are being used as exclusive devices.

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 am
When using "Shared" quality mode, the sampling rate is determined by Windows. GoldWave resamples the sound file to match that rate. With some sound cards you can use the Windows Sound settings to change the shared sampling rate (select the Device, choose Properties, choose Advanced tab).
hi
I use goldwave 6.52 (the last version) under w10 64bit and windows 7 64bit
even it's an old topic just 3 questions?
in the control proprieties i have selected core/audio ->WASAPI

1)PCM 16 bit,PCM 24 bit & IEEE32 are both wasapi exclusive mode , arent' they ?
"can't find anything in the help"

2) how can I setup the frequenty rate to 44.100 or 48.000 in PCM 16 bit,PCM 24 bit & IEEE32 ? Can I do it ?
"in the guide there is nothing"

3) I'm still a goldwave 5.70 32bit lover
with goldwave 6.52 I can play every audio file @ IEEE32
but with goldwave goldwave 5.70 i get only noise @ IEEE32
why?
i know it's old ,and no more updated ,just would love to know , because I run on the same system

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Re: ia sample rate question related to audio card (internal)?

Post by DougDbug »

From what I understand the Exclusive Mode drivers won't re-sample so if your hardware doesn't support a particular sample rate it won't work. Some soundcards only run at 48kHz, or only at 44.1kHz, and everything else is re-sampled by the drivers.

In regular Shared Mode the drivers will resample whenever necessary and you generally don't know what your hardware is actually doing. So normally you can play "high resolution" audio on any-old cheap soundcard, or you can record in a high-resolution format even if you are "capturing" lower-resolution data. It's similar to how a high resolution image is "secretly" down-sampled to show-up on a low-resolution monitor or print on a low-resolution printer.

There are no floating-point soundcards/interfaces and I don't know of any that can record at 32-bits. There are some 32-bit "audiophile" DACs although you're never going to get true 32-bit resolution/accuracy. (From what I've read, most 24-bit ADCs & DACs are only accurate to about 20 -bits.) I'm pretty sure in Exclusive Mode, the drivers WILL scale the bit depth to match the hardware even if it won't alter the sample rate.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Sara wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:16 am
even it's an old topic just 3 questions?
in the control proprieties i have selected core/audio ->WASAPI

1)PCM 16 bit,PCM 24 bit & IEEE32 are both wasapi exclusive mode , arent' they ?
"can't find anything in the help"

2) how can I setup the frequenty rate to 44.100 or 48.000 in PCM 16 bit,PCM 24 bit & IEEE32 ? Can I do it ?
"in the guide there is nothing"

3) I'm still a goldwave 5.70 32bit lover
with goldwave 6.52 I can play every audio file @ IEEE32
but with goldwave goldwave 5.70 i get only noise @ IEEE32
why?
i know it's old ,and no more updated ,just would love to know , because I run on the same system

thanks
1) Yes, all three of those indicate WASAPI Exclusive mode.

2) Sample rate in exclusive mode is determined by software; so if you're playing back a 44.1 or 48khz file, it automatically sets the card to that. If you're recording; then whatever rate you record is what it's set to. It helps to think of it as "direct" access to the card...even though that's not technically how it works.

3) You mean you can't play 32-bit float files in 5.70 or you can't play with the output set to IEEE32? I wouldn't set the output to IEEE32.
DougDbug wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:06 pm

There are no floating-point soundcards/interfaces and I don't know of any that can record at 32-bits. There are some 32-bit "audiophile" DACs although you're never going to get true 32-bit resolution/accuracy. (From what I've read, most 24-bit ADCs & DACs are only accurate to about 20 -bits.) I'm pretty sure in Exclusive Mode, the drivers WILL scale the bit depth to match the hardware even if it won't alter the sample rate.
The reality is by the time it makes it through the analog stages to your speakers...your DNR and SNR have dropped. My DAC claims a DNR of 120db with an SNR of 116db. I have no clue what the actual DNR and SNR ratings of my analog gear is. I still have no clue why these things support 32-bit integer other than "they can". My DAC's maximum PCM input is 768khz @ 32-bit. Absolutely nothing samples that fast, at that depth.

I'm not 100% on exclusive dealing with unsupported bit-depths.
Sara

Re: ia sample rate question related to audio card (internal)?

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
From what I understand the Exclusive Mode drivers won't re-sample so if your hardware doesn't support a particular sample rate it won't work.
Hi DougDbug
thanks for the explanation
DewDude420 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:55 am

1) Yes, all three of those indicate WASAPI Exclusive mode.

2) Sample rate in exclusive mode is determined by software; so if you're playing back a 44.1 or 48khz file, it automatically sets the card to that. If you're recording; then whatever rate you record is what it's set to. It helps to think of it as "direct" access to the card...even though that's not technically how it works.

3) You mean you can't play 32-bit float files in 5.70 or you can't play with the output set to IEEE32? I wouldn't set the output to IEEE32.
DougDbug wrote:

The reality is by the time it makes it through the analog stages to your speakers...your DNR and SNR have dropped. My DAC claims a DNR of 120db with an SNR of 116db. I have no clue what the actual DNR and SNR ratings of my analog gear is. I still have no clue why these things support 32-bit integer other than "they can". My DAC's maximum PCM input is 768khz @ 32-bit. Absolutely nothing samples that fast, at that depth.

I'm not 100% on exclusive dealing with unsupported bit-depths.
Hi DougDbug
Very exhaustive and deep answers about the my question
really appreciate your help! Thank you
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫