MP3s stopped loading in Goldwave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
gwgls

MP3s stopped loading in Goldwave

Post by gwgls »

I run an older version of this GREAT audio editor, simply because I am used to all the shortcuts, etc etc. ... However, :cry: unfortunately, a few weeks ago, this version (4.26) stopped opening it's own MP3s. The error is

" Audio format converter is missing or unable to convert audio data to specified format. Try saving as a different file type."

Again, I receive this message when trying to LOAD an existing MP3 - Recordings are still successful in GW and are readable in other MP3 players. The new MP3s I record WILL play back immediately after saving, but when I close and try to reopen that file, I get the error msg.

I can Still record and save MP3 files. No errors, all new and old Goldwave generated MP3 files open in Windows Media Player and all other audio apps. I have used this same version since its inception without problems, and have literally 1000s of saved MP3s on CD and on many other archiving media types.

Have read somewhere, that you no longer need the LAME file under Win10pro, and that post actually implied LAME Must be removed from the system32 directory. Have tried both ways, with and without LAME - same failure to load.

Of course, the newest GW version has no problems loading my old (and new) MP3s.

This version of Goldwave has worked on Windows XP, Vista, Win 2k, Win7, Win8.1, Win10 Home, and the current Win10 Pro right up until 3 weeks ago. I have already used a 'restore point' prior to the issues appearance.

Thank you Goldwave for a Great app, and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to steer me in the right direction

( 'Use latest version', thank you, is not an acceptable response !! :)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: MP3s stopped loading in Goldwave

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Previous versions of GoldWave require the L3CODECA.ACM or L3CODECP.ACM module for decoding MP3 files (normally included in the Audio Compression Manager in Windows). If that decoder has been removed or disabled, GoldWave will not be able to decode them. Recent versions of GoldWave use a different decoder.
gwgls

Post by gwgls »

Thanks for the quick reply - But it looks like both files ( L3CODECA.ACM and L3CODECP.ACM) are in the System32 directory - Are these listed in the Registry, or employed via another mechanism?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Many versions of Windows disable the L3 codec by default. Recent version of GoldWave are able to use the disabled ACM codec anyway. The older version cannot.